18 years ago

I know she lives in Missisippi I hope she and her family are okay! Sarah

Comments (17)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

I pray she is well, as is her family.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

Try sending her an email thru' Garden Web.

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just did. Although I kind of doubt she got it most of her state is without electric at least the southern half. Sarah

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

I think Hemena lives in Gautier. It's on the coast, east of Biloxi, maybe 20 miles. Gautier is not a beach town although on the coast - it has marsh and land protecting it instead of a thin strip of sand, so I don't imagine storm surge was a problem, unless she was actaully on the banks of a small river or bayou. My son was in college in Mobile - they got rain and massive wind - most big oaks down, even small ornamental trees down. Houses safe if enough distance from trees. No one has power along there, so I doubt she has computer. Guessing from what I know of location and what people there have told me, I'd venture that she is safe, with biggest danger tree on house or garden. "Safe" has become a relative word, I guess, while I am watching horrific images on TV of familiar places and so many people still un-safe as the sun gets ready to set again in New Orleans and coast of Mississippi.

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's what I heard from someone on the hummingbird forum who lives in Missisippi although she's is north of the coast Mostly old oak trees down and electricity out. I did e-mail her but I'm sure she didn't get it yet. Thanks Brenda for the info I am not at all familar with that area.Those poor people down there I wish there was something I could do. Sarah

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Sarah, have you heard from Helena yet? I sure hope she's doing ok. I didn't realize she was in Missisippi even though we've traded before. Thought she was in the Carolinas for some reason.
    Rose

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No I haven't but I didn't really expect to since I'm sure there's no electric and I don't even know her address I've only e-mailed her.I hope she and her family are alright. Do you have her address Rose? I sure hope she's okay!! Sarah

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

I watched the helipcopter video of Gautier, and it looks worse than I thought. Lots of flooding. I hope Helena and her loved ones are OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd Copter Tour is Gautier

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So do I, I don't even know her last name or address. I hope she's allright. I will e-mail her again. Sarah

• sarahbn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just got an e-mail from Helena! She and her family are okay just her den was flooded and her son and daughter's houses were ruined She has no internet service yet so she had to use the library. Just thought I would let everyone know! Sarah

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Me too! I was really happy to hear that she's OK. I hope Rita isn't a problem for them.
    Rose

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

Hurray!!!! Helena, when you get back, and over the more important issues, let us know if you lost any of your many salvias. You sent me some rooted cuttings last fall, and I will gladly send back any I have that you might be missing now.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Just wanted to say a huge heartfelt thank you to all for thinking of me, you all are so nice. We are doing good. I still don't have internet service so have to visit the library. The coast will probably have a slow recovery, there still a lot of cleaning up to do and then the rebuilding. Life goes on. Thank you again. Helena

18 years ago

Oh, thank God you are ok and well, Helena! This is such a happy day to know you made it through that horrible storm. I started searching survivor registries and did not find you, then decided to look here in GW and I am happy I did! My prayers have been answered.

Joseph

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Well thank you Joseph. I do thank God he spared and protected us. I do live in Gautier, my neighbor told me that there was a elderly couple that drowned in my part of town, their house was closer to the ocean & off the bayou. What were we all thinking? We won't take any more chances like that again.
    Helena

18 years ago

Helena,

If you want anything from my salvia collection to get your garden started again, it's yours, let me know, ok?

I deployed to Houston Texas on 9/4/05 for 11 days for response to Katrina. I was part of a preventive medicine team charged with helping to keep the evacuees healthy in the Astrodome and near by shelters at Reliant Park.

Joseph

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

That is great Joseph, we've had a great number of volunteers here too. Helena

Sponsored