Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Sage looking 'leggy'

Posted by aliciamarie 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 2:04

Hello, ...

My mexican sage is now two years old, and it is looking very leggy and woody. Given that it is the end of the summer, would it be ok to cut it back very aggressively? Would this encourage it to grow back "bushier" next spring? Is there another solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Sage looking 'leggy'

I see that you are in CA 19. From Sunset I would gather that you're not a lot different from here, so I'll try to answer your question..... and I'm assuming you're meaning S. leucantha.

I leave the top growth on until it warms up in February/ March, then I prune it to the ground or the bottom set of new leaves. If I prune too soon the tender new growth will turn black. Then in the summer -- if they're looking too ratty -- I prune them back... usually late July /early August, then I get a nice Fall bloom.

o

Yup. In my Cali zone I shear to ground in early spring...and you're even warmer than me.
Early spring is also a good time to divide this plant. Division is easily done with a shovel. Any parts you divide off the mother plant usually grow on their own quite well.

o

• Posted by Skrip z9/sun19/SoCal. (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 4, 05 at 12:14

same here, major cutback in early spring and digging out any parts that I want to get rid of or give away. But for now I just let it do its leggy thing until it overly flops and irritates me, then I just remove the floppy part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here