Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me overwinter my salvia blue angel!

Posted by dianne0712 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 13:02

I bought a 12 pack of salvia blue angel in July. They were discounted and not happy, but for 99 cents- well, what the heck. So, I planted some in my garden and some in pots and babied them. The ones in the ground are ok, but didn't flower, the ones in pots are magnificent. I live in Niagara Ontario, so we have an odd little zone pocket of 7 though in the front, where it's super sunny, I have successfully grown zone 8 plants. I love these blue angel. I have never seen them before. I want to keep them, but I'm not sure if I should lift the root or leave them in the ground. The ones in pots will have to come out as that's where my Christmas evergreens go. How can I get them to survive our Canadian winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me overwinter my salvia blue angel!

I'm in zone 6b and mine winter over on their own. I have learned that with salvia, don't cut the stems back until spring. They are hollow and water will collect in them and freeze the root.

Mine did not bloom as well this year as other years. I guess they didn't like our weather.

I bought Black & Blue Salvia at the end of last season for 25 cents each. They wintered over beautifully and now they look like shrubs. I hope they survive again this year.

Good luck.

o

You could try collecting some seeds, which you could sow in March, and they will flower by mid-summer....just as an insurance!

o

Thank you! I really hope they make it!

o

Blue angel is a selection of Salvia patens, which should definitely not be hardy in USDA Zone 6b. Are yoou in the arid southwestern states? That's the only way I can imagine they make it through the winter.

They certainly won't make it through Zone 6b wet, subtropical southeastern US weather

Also, they have tubers, and forest critters like pine voles will feast on them. Tuber and rhizome-bearing plants arise where there are no significant underground predators, such as in arid soils, with scree conditions (lots of crushed rock and drainage)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here