Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzsyard

Will these return on their own?

suzsyard
18 years ago

I had these salvia coral nymph plants show up in a flower "lasagna" bed this year by accident and I absolutely love them. I almost pulled them up thinking they were weeds before they bloomed. I absolutely LOVE them. Will they reseed on their own, or should I be getting seed from them. If so, where are the seed? How do I harvest. I so want more and more next year.

{{gwi:336222}}

Comments (4)

• ltcollins1949
    18 years ago

ÂCoral Nymph is a salmon and white bicolor on compact plants which is a Salvia coccinea. Although they are hardy in Zone 9, if you let it seed out, then mulch the area heavily, I would have to assume that it will come back next spring. Or just to play it safe, go ahead and take the seeds and overwinter them and sow them in the spring after it warms up.

I have all of the below growing in my yard, and even with 6" of snow last Christmas, they all came back. All of my Coral Nymphs came back even better, and I am constantly pulling out the Scarlet Sage because it grows everywhere.

Here is a little information on them:
    Scarlet or Texas Sage (Salvia coccinea): Scarlet sage has bright red flowers in whorls on 10-inch spikes. It is hardy in Zone 9 and may overwinter near the coast. It often reseeds itself. If it gets too tall, cut it back in midsummer. The plant will come back bushier with more blooms in the fall. Full sun to partial shade

ÂLady in Red Uniform, heat and drought-tolerant plants reach 2 tall and bloom prolifically. Reseeds very reliably.
    ÂCoral Nymph is a salmon and white bicolor on compact plants.
    ÂSnow Nymph is white and grows 24 inches tall with contrasting dark green leaves

• wardw
    18 years ago

The only advantage in planting seed indoors ahead of time is earlier bloom - as much as a month earlier in your climate. Overwintered seeds on the ground must wait until the soil is warmed up and can be crowded out by plants that germinate in colder soil. Having plants blooming in June is particularly important if you are trying to attract nesting hummingbirds and hummers love salvia coccinea.

Lastly, if you check around your bed I bet you'll find plenty of seedlings already - they can be quite a weed if all of them are allowed to grow.

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

With the salvia coccinea you can not go wrong you only need one plant and by the next season you will have hundreds.My favorite is the Salvia Coccinea white it is taller than the coral nymph and it looks so pretty self seeding everywhere the perfect cottage plant.

Cheers Annette

• seedbandito
    18 years ago

Hey gal, those are gorgeous!! I wish they'd just show up in my flower bed!! I'd save some seed just in case...

Nancy

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County