Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uk summer 2013

Posted by robinmi UK (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 14:21

What a strange year! Very cold spring which delayed new growth of the dormant Salvias (though they all survived), followed by a very hot 3 weeks in July with unbroken sunshine. This caused the buds on many cloud-forest species to abort, with the result only now, September, do I have a colourful garden, actually looking great, despite only 15 mm of rain in the last 2 months!

Constant watering has been very time-consuming, and therefore I am infested with Oxalis, a nightmare to get rid of.

Spidermite thrived in the heatwave, and has all but destroyed S. concolor and S. dombeyi. (In last year's wet summer, these Salvias were superb.) Seem to be having another infestation of Capsid bug, which really messes up foliage on some species.

But current highlights are S. curviflora, S. fulgens (Popocatepetl), S. darcyi, and all greggii/microphyllas.

S. 'Amistad' has been variable, some plants are truly amazing, others seem to need a strong feed. Spidermite also attacked a couple.

But, must not complain, so lovely to have so much warm sunshine this year, after 3 dreadful summers. Supposed to be 28C (82F) this week.

Have an interesting new hybrid, allegedly S. greggii 'Alba' x S. dorisiana.......nothing like the parents, but very very nice! Hope to add photos to my site within a month.

Regards to all........Robin, in the UK.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uk summer 2013

Enjoy the fruits of your labors, Robin!

o

Robin, were the seeds of the greggii x dorisiana sent to you by John Fisher of Australia? I got some from him as well, and will soon be starting them, along with the libanensis and others.

I'll be sharing them as soon as I can propagate them.

We have had a funny summer, not too hot, and we caught up with our mild drought about a month ago, but Salvias aren't doing as well as I'd hoped. Maybe they will finish well this autumn.

Despite using better soil, I've had trouble keeping high Andean species , especially sagittata. Other troublesom species include fulgens, concolor, and dombeyi. The Bio-Comp potting soil has helped.

I really need to put in small beds for some of these, since pots aren't good for them. I rent both the residence and nursery site. I suspect these are the species that need a deep and/or loose root run.

o

Rich,

Yes the seeds were from John Fisher. He also sent greggii x involucrata, this has come up much like 'Mulberry Jam', but a paler pink, and greggii x darcyi is like 'Silkes Dream' but a darkish red, quite nice.

o

Robin: Your garden has been amazing this year!!

o

Rolando, If only you had been here NOW, instead of July!!!

Many Salvias bursting into bloom, albeit 4-6 weeks late! If we have an early frost......you may never hear from me again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here