Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinmi_gw

uk summer 2013

robinmi_gw
10 years ago

What a strange year! Very cold spring which delayed new growth of the dormant Salvias (though they all survived), followed by a very hot 3 weeks in July with unbroken sunshine. This caused the buds on many cloud-forest species to abort, with the result only now, September, do I have a colourful garden, actually looking great, despite only 15 mm of rain in the last 2 months!

Constant watering has been very time-consuming, and therefore I am infested with Oxalis, a nightmare to get rid of.

Spidermite thrived in the heatwave, and has all but destroyed S. concolor and S. dombeyi. (In last year's wet summer, these Salvias were superb.) Seem to be having another infestation of Capsid bug, which really messes up foliage on some species.

But current highlights are S. curviflora, S. fulgens (Popocatepetl), S. darcyi, and all greggii/microphyllas.

S. 'Amistad' has been variable, some plants are truly amazing, others seem to need a strong feed. Spidermite also attacked a couple.

But, must not complain, so lovely to have so much warm sunshine this year, after 3 dreadful summers. Supposed to be 28C (82F) this week.

Have an interesting new hybrid, allegedly S. greggii 'Alba' x S. dorisiana.......nothing like the parents, but very very nice! Hope to add photos to my site within a month.

Regards to all........Robin, in the UK.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH