Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone ID this guaranitica?

Posted by pkponder 7B Granbury TX (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 14:41

I received this one in a swap as Argentine Skies, but I think the color is wrong. It is a very cobalt blue with bright green calyces. The leaves are darker, almost blue green in comparion with my Black and Blue. Thanks in advance.

Pam

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone ID this guaranitica?

I'm guessing that it's salvia Mexicana "Tula", mine has grown to over 8ft this year but has been the first of the mexicanas to bloom. It could also be s. mex. limelight, not an expert so it's hard to tell. Helena

o

I totally agree with Helena

o

What a pretty name Tula is! I bet that sounds goofy to anyone besides a gardener. Thanks Helena and Rich.

Pam

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 9:49

What are the differences between 'Tula' and 'Limelight'? My plant looks identical to the one in the pic, although it's just getting its bloom stems this year. Last year, the blooms looked just like that, though. Mine is supposedly a 'Limelight'.

Brenda

o

`Tula' is an accession of Yucca-Do, collected in southern Tamaulipas near the city of Tula, which is around 30 miles SSE of Cerro Pea Nevada and SW of the El Cielo Biosphere. It gets 6-8 feet tall for me in North Carolina.

Limelight is similar, but about 2/3 as tall. This one came from California. Ginny Hunt might know more. Betsy Clebsch told me that she saw many when she got a tour with Yucca-Do.

Mexicanas with chartreuse calyxes and cobalt purple flowers are common, but not as common as those with black calyxes and midnight purple flowers. These also come in different sizes. Average height ones are `La Placita' and `Puerto de la Zorra'. A giant one is `Ocampo', from near the El Cielo Biosphere. `Lollie Jackson' was introduced by Yucca-Do like the previous one and has denser spikes.

A really giant one came from Oaxaca. I had it briefly from Saso's Herb Garden, now closed and formerly of Saratoga, California. I think this was an example of the S. mexicana f. major that Epling proposed in his magnum opus on Salvias.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here