Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meadow sage question

Posted by DGirlLA z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 14:48

A local nursery has meadow sage at a very reasonable price. However, up on Dave's Garden, the listing for salvia chiapensis says that is poisonous and that handling the plant may cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction.

Anybody know if this is accurate? Is is any different from other sages? I sure don't want to keep it in a pot if I can't handle it.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meadow sage question

Hello, I have salvia chiapensis & I have handled it many times No reaction, i dont know who supplied the info at daves but I think it is wrong I just have never heard of it. Hope this helps with your decision :0)

o

I just looked in Betsy Clebsch's book and nothing is mentioned about it either being poisonous or an irritant. (Of course, any plant can cause a reaction in an allergic person.) Actually, I don't know of any Salvia that is considered poisonous. Do You?

o

Thanks for the responses! Annettte, your experience does help, a lot. I've decided to go pick up a couple of meadow sages.

Westelle, thanks for looking it up in Clebsch's book. Someday I'm going to have to break down and buy it. As for your question, no, I've never heard of any salvia that is poisonous, which is why the listing on Dave's Garden startled me so.

o

I am looking for a different version of a Salvia plant. I currently have several Meadow Sage "May Night" (Mainacht) plants that I am not happy with. I love the look early on, but do not like how the plant sort of splits, or lays flat when in bloom. I cut them back to regain neatness in my flower bed but am hoping to find a replacement that keeps more of a mound effect and yet blossoms throughout the summer. Can you help me with this issue?

o

I see "Meadow Sage" and S. chiapensis listed as if they are the same plant.

Meadow Sage is S. pratensis, native to Europe and a hardy herbaceous perennial.

S. chiapensis or Chiapas Sage is from Mexico, and is a perennial - but not very hardy. It is one of my very favorite Salvias! Ours are blooming like crazy now.

Kermit

o

I agree with Kermit, and I also know of no toxic species of Salvia, especially to touch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here