Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning salvias - how far

Posted by nlbsandiego SD CA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 05 at 15:27

ok, here goes...I live in SD California and love my salvias. I've read in the fall to cut them down to the ground is that right? Thanks it probably sounds like a dumb question but I want to learn to do it right. Thanks for your help. Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning salvias - how far

Nancy, that would depend on which salvias you have. I'm not going to comment on pruning schedules from across the country in a much cold zone, but your salvia growing neighbors are going to need more information.

o

I did a search:

This was under Westelle's post pruning salvias:

Posted by: Rich_Dufresne z7 NC (My Page) on Tue, Jan 25, 05 at 21:07

Please wait until you see new growth. I use the `asparagus' rule to trim Salvias. Bending the stem until it snaps (towards the outer end) will reveal the approximate area where the transition of the woody growth to new green growth is. This is also the point where cuttings are taken.
I treat shrubby woody stemmed sages like greggiis and microphyllas that form twiggy, woody growth like raspberries or roses. Definitely do not cut these to the ground.

Cutting to the ground is only good for those sages that form short stolons underground and send up new shoots, like sinaloensis, glechomiifolia, leucanthas, some microphyllas, guaraniticas, and others. If the plant was rooted and set into the ground with no nodes beneath the soil line, it will not send up shoots in any case. You can often tell this has happened when there is a thick trunk coming from the soil, and the first node has a multitude of stems coming from it. Cut that boy off, and you have a dead plant.

o

Westelle: Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! I very much appreciate the work you did. I didn't know how to look it up and was at my wits end. Nancy

o

At the bottom of the first page there is a blank area for a SEARCH; fill it in for what you want and you will get a list of every thread that touches on that subject.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here