Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esp1024

why my salvia greggii wont bloom?

esp1024
11 years ago

I'm in Dallas I bought 3 salvia greggii. Pink, purple and furman red this summer in June and they have only been in bloom once which was when I bought them. They're growing and they're green but have not bloomed. They're planted in sunny spots and I don't water them regularly. I need help any advice will be appreciated.

P.s. I'm new to the site I don't know if my question has been answered before I did look but didnt find a similar situation

Comments (10)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Did you cut them back in june or July? I cut my salvia gregii back during months that begin in J . January is a good time to cut it back hard. I like late June early july. That makes for a good fall show.

• esp1024
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I pruned them a little in August I'm wondering if that could have set them back from blooming ...or could they bloom more next spring after they get more adapted to the soil?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

August is Late. , well, for Central Texas. You might get a late bloom. prune them in January to get them bushy for the year. I make the january trim a harder trim than my june trim.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that the hard trim is very important when a plant is young so you can give it a bushy form. Greggiis can get leggy and woody and then they ar not as easily encouraged into bushy growth.

• esp1024
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I pruned them a little in August I'm wondering if that could have set them back from blooming ...or could they bloom more next spring after they get more adapted to the soil?

• rich_dufresne
    11 years ago

All of my Salvias have been slow to bloom this summer, after a fast start because of the warm spring. Maybe the current weather patterns have fooled them into thinking they need to bloom later in the season. This has happened before.

As partial conformation of that, I took some Salvia cuttings at Tony Avent's Plant Delights on August 4, and again last weekend. That was on account of the fact that they just sat there and did not root in the high 80s to low 90's weather. When I got back to visit his trial garden, some of the Salvia specimens had suffered, probably a residual effect of the ten day 100 degree spell.

I've noticed from posts in the past that this is not just a North Carolina phenomenon, but seems to involve most of the USA.

Maybe I should start another thread to poll everyone else on this subject.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Last summer when Central Texas had 70 days of 100+ weather, my gregiis bloomed but they were a bit sad because I did not water. At the other garden that I care for where they have a lens of clay under an imported decomposed granite/sand compost soil and I did water intermittantly, they bloomed fine and on time. Usually in Central Texas we have 2 big blooms of greggii, and one of them starts in late September/ early october and can go until frost. Some of mine are already starting. It is dependent on when you cut it it back, if you cut it back. The microphylla is just getting started after its summer dormancy.

• wardda
    11 years ago

Even to your north here in New Jersey we experience a slowdown and even stoppage in greggii bloom during the heart of summer - strangely microphylla tends to bloom better then. Even after the weather breaks it takes a while for the plants to recover. I would be shocked considering your Texas weather if you said your plants bloomed right through the summer. Even in irrigated situations greggii seems to want to bide its time when the weather stays in the 90s for weeks on end. I guess that makes sense for a plant that has to endure blazing summers every year in its native habitat. The positive side is that big things are yet to come for you. They aren't called Autumn Sage for nothing.

• desertsage
    11 years ago

Here in SE Arizona, my S. greggii are blooming like crazy, S.microphylla not so much, S.elegans just now blooming. S.chamaedryoides, and S.darcyi have been in bloom all summer.

• wardda
    11 years ago

Rich, the same thing happened here in New Jersey. Van Remsen was in bloom toward the end of June and the shocker was a few blooms on reptans. It was also the first spring where several dozen varieties of greggii and microphylla bloomed by early to mid April. Late April bloom has occurred before but it was never across the board. Boy was it nice. Up here nothing can compare to the late September to hard freeze bloom. The party goes harder and harder right up until it hits the frozen wall. At least with microphylla and greggii there is some chance of post freeze recovery and if the weather turns nice the whole thing starts up again.