Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should I cut back my purple sage?

Posted by GMOFREEGUY none (jeremys_email28@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 15:55

This is my first time growing sage and I picked up a purple cutting from a nursery. Its been doing really well since i planted it in my garden and its probably about ten inches tall now. Ive been reading that cutting it back will promote the bushiness but I just dont know when to do it. How big should i let it get before doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should I cut back my purple sage?

Where do you live?

o

In northern california in the yuba sutter area. So im kind of in the valley in rice field territory

o

I live in the Central Valley and have found that it is wise to leave the pruning until the Salvias start sending out new growth in the spring. Prune back to new growth.

o

Okay cool how big should I expect it to get overall? Its just in a 5 gallon pot right now but if its supposed to get really big Ill move it to something with more space in the spring

o

Purple sage can mean any of a number of Salvias. Which species and form is it?

o

Well, if it's happy with your temperature range, and it's a California native, it's most likely Salvia leucophylla.

If that's the case, then it's probably a good idea to tip it now so that the coming shrub is good and branched.

S. leucophylla often grows over 5 feet tall in as many years, but the Point Sal variety tends to remain about 3 feet by 3 feet. I recommend either a pretty big, draining pot or to put it in the ground.

o

Its actually salvia officinalus. The leaves are a really bright purple and green

o

If you are gardening in a flood plain or on a hillside where runoff channels, a raised bed with drainage and some lime would be useful. Sages can do well in damp soil, but their roots must have air.

Mediterranean sages like S. officianalis like limy soils as well.

o

Yeah I do live in a flood plain area but my house is elevated a lot from the street and we havent had any major flooding since ive lived here so it should be okay.

Cool sounds like im doing pretty good with it then. I got some really great soil thats nice for drainage and its nice and airy for it. And I had to had dylomite lime to the soil when I got it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here