Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a large pink salvia with a neat habit

Posted by jxa44 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 16:03

Hi again,

any suggestions for a large (3' - 5') pink flowering salvia with a neat habit? Fall's the best time for me to plant salvias, so i'm on the hunt ;-)

j.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a large pink salvia with a neat habit

Salvia Curviflora and Salvia Splendens pink sp are the 2 that spring to mind, both large pink flowering machines.

Annette

o

Wow Annette, i like the look of Curviflora -- a lot! which probably means I won't be able to find it to purchase :-D

I always thought that splendens was red?

Other suggestions? I like the look of the gaurantica's -- something with that shape would work.

j.

p.s.

meanwhile, back at the ranch --

i *finally* found an operator at cabrillo who transferred me to someone who might be able to talk with me about the plant sale. I left a voicemail -- wish me luck.

j.

o

If you don't mind the spread S. involucrata "Mulberry Jam" is one of my favorites..... 4' tall & 6' across, sort of fountain shaped.

o

Jxa44:
Some Salvias to try would be Salvia splendens var VanHouttei
several forms from burgandy to reds. Salvia rutilans "Freida Dixon",Salvia sessei,S.involucrata,puberula
and if you can find it S.leucantha "Danielles Dream" on
the smaller side Salvia microphylla forms like La trinadad,
Oxford Pink 3'or so.Have fun!
Art

o

great suggestions all -- now any suggestions for vendors? I've purchased from Digging Dog, Joycreek and High Country Gardens. Any others that you would suggest?

o

Try the splendens peach (or pink) from Seedhunt. See Robin Middletin's web page for an image.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robin's Salvias

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here