Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia ID

Posted by nuthatch_mo Z-6 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 18:09

What is the correct name for the Salvia that looks like Coral Nymph, but is much taller. I traded some seeds with someone, was suppose to be S. praeclara, but when it started blooming this is what I have. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia ID

A picture would be helpful!

In the UK there is a very tall S.coccinea called 'Bicolor' which is like a very tall Coral Nymph.

Praeclara is totally different.

Robin.

o

Robin, Here is a couple of pictures. It is at least twice as tall as the Coral Nymph maybe more.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

It is probably what we have over here as coccinea 'Bicolor'. Just a tall 'Coral Nymph;.

There are so many forms of S. coccinea, and even these will vary considerably in different soil and climate conditions.

Whatever you have, enjoy it, and deadhead it regularly...it gets better as Autumn (Fall) approaches!

Robin.

o

A word about the bicolored forms of coccinea: Holly Shimazu, at the time head of the National Herb Garden at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC told me the plants I got from Well-Sweep of the form I described as S. coccinea Bicolor came from her (no surprise, because Cy and Louise Hyde are old friends of Holly). She got it in turn from Harare, Zimbabwe. I described it in one of my early Salvia Herb Placard books.

I think most of the cultivars of the bicolored forms are based on this selection.

Let me know if anyone knows elsewise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here