Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatcopywriter

Advice on Wendy's Wish (?) salvia

Diana Phillips
11 years ago

Last week, I found two rather large (30"), sprawly and blooming plants on the clearance rack at Lowe's with no hang tag but the sticker on the planter just said "salvia." Being new to the category, I spent a few days combing through websites and posts trying to determine what kind these were and now I believe they may be Wendy's Wish based on the leaf shape. The hummers love them. The flowers are actually more fuchsia pink than the red on the photo.

Anyway, whatever the variety, I am trying to figure out whether to plant them in containers that can be brought into my screen porch during the coldest parts of winter or in the ground. If in the ground, should I go for full sun on the south side of my house which is still quite intense or a mix of direct and dappled sun on the north? I am about a third of mile from the beach.

I also need advice on what could be causing some of the leaves to turn yellow and drop. They've been that way since the beginning (a little raggedy). Although there's quite a bit of new growth still occurring, some of the older, larger leaves are turning color and falling off daily. It's still humid here and in the high 80s/low 90s most days. Overnights range from high 60s to mid-70s, usually muggy. I've been watering when the leaves look wilted, which seems to perk 'em up, but I am concerned about overwatering too. Should I consider cutting them back now?

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated! I really hope I can get these to thrive and come back next spring because they're lovely.

Comments (22)

• Diana Phillips
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Additional picture...

• Diana Phillips
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And another... (must figure out how to upload multiple pix)

• hawkeye_wx
    11 years ago

It's definitely Wendy's Wish. Funny you mention the leaves yellowing and dropping off because I'm having the same issue with my potted WW. I'm not sure if I'm watering too much, fertilizing too much, if the plant may be too rootbound in the 12" pot, or something else.

• Diana Phillips
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the positive i.d. Hawkeye. In your experience, are these better in containers or the ground?

• hawkeye_wx
    11 years ago

Diana, this is my first year growing WW and I only have the one plant in a pot. I was very happy with it earlier in the season when it was very healthy looking and still fairly compact. It eventually spread out quite a bit and is a little more sprawling than I'd like. The bloom spikes get quite long and twisty, so it's not the neatest looking plant now. If I find it locally again next spring I may end up cutting it back somewhat before mid summer. We'll see.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I got one about 2 months ago, and have separated the plants in the pot and put them in the ground, and they're very happy there. Mine are smaller than yours - shorter, that is. I don't know if they will be okay in the ground for the winter, though. It's a new plant to me, too.

• Diana Phillips
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to hear your ground planted WW are doing well, eahamel... Are they in full sun? Do they get any shade at all? Mine are still in their original containers (mainly because I haven't found large enough pots that I like) but looking much better now that they got a long drenching rain and are in partial sun. Lots of blooms, too. Still thinking Im going to do one in a pot, one in the ground and see how it goes. Hawkeye, I rather like the wild sprawly look of these guys but will probably trim back soon. Thanks for all the feedback! If we are lucky we'll all have a gorgeous spring with our WWs!

• Long48
    11 years ago

I've found it does far better if shaded from the worst of the afternoon sun (much as we get it) here in the UK.

Strikes very easily from tip cuttings, but be aware that it is protected by PBR.

• jenn
    11 years ago

I have one growing in the ground with southern exposure that gets direct sun until early afternoon, 1-2pm. We have clay soil and this area does not get regular irrigation so I need to drag the hose to it once in a while to give it a drink. It does seem to yellow a bit during dry spells, and greens up again after a drink.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

The pieces that I first planted get a lot of shade and dappled light. I transplanted two into a bed that gets direct sun until about 2 or 3 pm. All are doing just fine.

Do the plant propagation restrictions apply to people who buy one for their yard, or to commercial growers? I have seen discussions about this before, and think that would not apply to someone growing them for their own use.

• rich_dufresne
    11 years ago

You are allowed to propagate plants under patent protection for your own use. The line is clearly drawn when plants are propagated for sale, by you or those who get them from you. Donating a few plants to a community garden or doing a few for friends and family is in a gray area, usually inconsequential.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Lucky! Lucky! Lucky people who can grow this as a perennial. I have grown this as an annual for three years, and love it. Mine is in full sun, but it is wetter and cooler along the Great Lakes. I do know leaves yellow and drop when it gets too much water, and it flourished in last years drought, giving a stunning display when much else died. If only i could bring this in...

• Ralph Whisnant
    10 years ago

Diana, if you get any frost at all, it will likely kill your Wendy's Wish unless you can cover and protect it. Since you are in a very mild area, I would suggest going ahead with putting these plants in the ground, but take several cuttings to overwinter in a protected place, if you have one. They are very easy to root in just tap water and begin blooming while still quite small.

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

I planted Wendy's Wish for the first time this spring. I planted it in the ground around the edges of a shade garden under live oaks. They get morning sun for about 3 hours then dappled shade the rest of the day. They have been blooming non-stop since planting in May...through the hot and humid rainy summer and the dry and warm Fall. They survived a hard frost followed by an immediate warm up without missing a beat. The hummers, butterflies and moths love them!

• kermitc
    10 years ago

Ours in the ground went through 24 degrees for 4 nights, and all it did was burn off a few leaves. This plant can and does take more cold than was expected.

• Long48
    10 years ago

I agree that this is hardier than (I had at least) given it credit for. We've had a wet and mild winter here in the UK with just a few frosts, but both of mine in pots are still in bud in a sheltered spot.

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Just following up on the Wendy's Wish that I planted last Spring. They bloomed non-stop all winter and are starting to put out more blooms. We had tons of rain (20 inches) this winter but it still looks great.
    I have picked up 3 more at Lowe's this week. I love them so much that I actually paid full price. Lol

• edenh
    9 years ago

Hi
    I got two from lowe's clearance rack.I divided one of them and they grow big fast. In one week they are the same size as the one i did not divide. I didnt like it much so I was going to return the undivided one. Put it in the car and then I forgot about it until 6 hours later. It was baking in the car , must be 100 degree or more!) When I finally remember, it was crispy ! Took it out, water,water,water..trim the burnt leaves and a week later it is blooming again. However..the one I divided earlier are much,much bigger by now.

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

This is a plant that surprised me during summer heat[midwest] when other plants were stressed in 90 degree heat ww kept right on trucking and looking good, just remember to water.

• karen__w z7 NC
    7 years ago

I've been growing WW, also Ember's Wish and Love and Wishes, in pots for the past few years, wintering over in the greenhouse. A friend of mine here has had hers overwinter outside the past two years, though, so I'll be trying it in ground this year.

• hummersteve
    6 years ago

I for one have gotten away from watering from the top on large established plants in containers and there is always the fear of watering too much. So as much as I can I go with watering from the bottom, letting the plants draw up as much as it wants or needs. Too small a pot is not logical [spock] mine is in a 16" ID. At first I was using the roasting pan and had it sitting on two bricks but only two inches of the pot was sitting in water and it was using that up in a days time. So now I have in sitting in a cutout of a trash can and sitting on wood strips so its not sitting on the bottom and can draw up water easier.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm