Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confusion about 'May Night''s description

Posted by Squirrellypete z7b AL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 05 at 19:09

Hi there. I am very new to the concept of identifying plants using their latin or botanical names. I've just started to learn about this and decided to begin properly identifying the genus and species of many of the plants I grow so that I understand what the heck other gardeners are talking about.

Anyway, 'May Night' Salvia has confused me. I understand it's a hybrid but I have seen three different labels for this on various websites:

Salvia x superba 'May Night'
Salvia x sylvestris 'May Night'
Salvia nemerosa 'May Night'

Can someone please explain to me what this means? Which is correct? Are they all correct? Help.

Sincerely, Squirrellypete

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confusion about 'May Night''s description

There is a lot of confusion over these 3 species & even the experts have a hard time differiating them, they are all very similar, so technically i guess that the 3 listings are correct & if the experts have a hard time with them I dont think we need to tear our hair out worrying about who is correct, as long as you post maynight everyone knows what you are talking about.

Cheers Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here