Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voodoobrew

Salvia 'Paula Flynn'

voodoobrew
12 years ago

Today I bought an unusual salvia from the UCBerkeley sale, called "Paula Flynn". The foliage is similar to that of S. melissodora, but longer and slightly heart shaped, and no scent. I can see why Soquel nursery thinks it may be a S. corrugata hybrid. The leaves are "pebbly"/ corrugated, while the undersides are white and fuzzy. There is a description and photo here:

http://www.soquelnursery.com/newsletter_Aug_07.html

What they don't mention is that there are unusual bracts as the flowers emerge, which remind me of S. atrocyanea. I will try to get a photo. The flowers are dark blue.

There were many broken branches by the time I got home, so I will try to root them. Though, if it's related to S. melissodora, I probably won't have any luck. That seems to be a tough one to propagate. Any advice? It looks to be in active growth, and it's flowering.

very interesting find!

Comments (8)

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

I got seeds of this 2 years ago. The plant flowered well, but was rather insignificant, though very interesting! It did not set seed here, and cuttings did not root. Foolishly, I forgot to dig it up for winter protection. If it is a hybrid, then the seeds I had may not have come true. There is a photo on my site, www.robinssalvias.com . Also be aware of the message in blue, on the home-page.

Robin.

• annette68_gw
    12 years ago

I grew Salvia Paula Flynn and I reckon it is closely related
    to salvia 'harmony'/scordifolia, I have corrugata and it doesnt resemble this as much as the harmony.

A

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree that it resembles Salvia scordifolia, but more floriferous, and in my garden, a different season of bloom, or perhaps a much longer blooming period. The 'Paula Flynn' is still in full swing, while my S. scordifolia finished quite a while ago.

• rich_dufresne
    12 years ago

I wonder if a hybrid of S. corrugata and S. urica might look like Paula Flynn?

If the stems are woody and thin, expect the cuttings to root slowly. If they are more succulent, they should root more easily, especially if the plant is in rapid growth.

• PeaFlynn
    11 years ago

Hello..my name is Paula Flynn and I am the one who found this plant. I traded seeds of this plant in a plant swap. and have grown it from seed myself and it has come true to seed.. other people have also had sucess growing it from seed......I would love any info or input as to the who you think the parents of the plant. or any info on growing feed back.....it has stummped alot of people...thanks you

• rich_dufresne
    11 years ago

This one is indeed a puzzlement. The bracts are large, and suggest a parent with an involucre, like S. puberula or S. fulgens - those have the wrong colors.

The foliage has the texture of squalens, styphelus, corrugata, and several others, and has white furry underside of styphelus.

I don't have scordifolia, but it looks like I'm going to see what styphelus looks like in bloom. A ruler for scale would help with the ID

We are having really good spring blooming on Dalvias this yearin North Carolina. I think I see a head forming on S. Marwin Gardens.

• robinmi_gw
    11 years ago

Sadly, I think that this thread is going nowhere, and achieving very little. Scordifolia is, I believe, an invalid name. This Salvia is likely to be a hybrid, as is "Paula Flynn" . I have tried to look for connections with those that Rich Dufresne listed, sorry.......nothing gels!

Robin.

• rich_dufresne
    11 years ago

I brought a plant that looked like the S. scordifolia to T. P. Ramamoorthy once, and he described it as a form of S. melissodora, which he said was very variable. In retrospect, it looked a lot more like what is now S. amarissima.

I really mistrust using just the verbal description of a species, since everyone has somewhat different notions of what the individual descriptors are. I feel a lot more secure with a visual image as well.

The same with the description of fragrance notes. I worked as a flavor and fragrance chemist, and even with trained panelists, random checking with panel members individually got very different answers. The same applies to trying to describe subtle differences in color.

I really like pen and ink descriptions - these help a lot, but are insufficient

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction