Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Lips Volunteer Seedling?

Posted by roses_more_roses Z9 N CA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 20:25

I have had salvia Hot Lips in my garden for the past three years. I have never been able to find any seeds, and I read that it was propagated by cuttings. I have a seedling that I thought was agastache until it bloomed red & white just like hot lips. This year I also got a surprise salvia uliginosa which I haven't had in my garden for a few years. Has anyone had Hot Lips pop up as a volunteer?
Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Lips Volunteer Seedling?

Collection of seed is complicated by bumblebees, especially carpenter bees, that abort the normal pollination process by punching a hole at the base of the flower to get at the nectar.

Greggiis and microphyllas set moderate amonts of seed, but the yield is low. Coccinea and uliginosa are good seed producers, as are the Agastaches with dense spikes and short flowers.

o
RE: Hot Lips Volunteer Seedling?

Sure I may have mentioned this before, but as far as I know I was responsible for introducing 'Hot Lips' into the UK, a few years ago. I was allowed to collect seeds from a large clump at Cabrillo, never thinking that they would come true. But some did, and Hot Lips is now available in the UK. (To be correct it should be called x Hot Lips.)

This has never, ever set seed in the UK, unlike most microphylla cultivars. I do wonder why this seems to be sterile. Amazing new bi-coloured cultivars are always possible. Hot Lips here behaves like everywhere else...red and white in spring, pure white (occasionally red) in summer, then bi-coloured in autumn. Weird, but delightful!

Another seedling from the Cabrillo plants was quite different, twice as vigorous, shiny leaves, red stems, red flowers, which I have cheekily named 'Robin's Pride'. Seems to be almost identical to S. microphylla 'Huntington' in the USA. This can grow to 6 ft tall....striking, not invasive, but somewhat thuggish!

Robin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here