Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaceysgranny

Which ones are these?

jaceysgranny
14 years ago

I got these plants in a trade and they only said Salvia. I think they're black and blue but they are all single stem and did increase from last year. However, yesterday I bought another one that was labeled Black and Blue and is totally different. There are no blooms on it but the leaves are crinkled and the habit is more of a clump. Here is a picture of the ones I already had.

{{gwi:339389}}

Comments (7)

• hvaldez
    14 years ago

It looks just like the Black and Blue Salvia (Salvia guaranitica) I planted this summer. I don't believe it is in the sedum family. It's new too me this year and I love the flowers and foliage. Mine has grown to about 3 1/2 feet tall and the Hummingbirds love it. I might try to harvest the seeds to grow again next year.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Should be hardy for you in zone 7 so there is no need to get seeds from it. It spreads like crazy in my garden via underground tubers.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

jaceysigranny:
    Top Photo is S.guarnitica Black & Blue cold hardy in your
    area no problem. Lower photo look like S. x Anthony Parker
    (a hybrid between S.elegans and S.leucantha). that would be the one you need to get cuttings on.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

hmm, S. A. Parker is indeed very nice... I have a ton of leucanthas, and I find them a bit boring, but that hybrid looks good. I really need to stop giving away/ trading my collected salvia seeds, huh? I could come up with a winner hybrid! Salvia voodoobrew. ;-)

• jaceysgranny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, I should have said that the 2 pics above are both the same plant. Here's a pic of the other one without blooms. It didn't have any blooms on it.

{{gwi:1247494}}

The leaves of the first one are larger and smoother and they are on single stems but some have 2 or 3 coming from the same root. Should I have cut them back more when they first came up? I hope they are hardy since I've had them for 2 years and they came back this year and multiplied. Can you tell me about the other one please?

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back here. I appreciate all of the information and help.

Nancy

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

The first is still Black & Blue. The second is hard to tell, because of the curl on the leaves, but is about right for guaraniticas that are emerging from dormancy or are potbound. If the leaves don't straighten out on repotting, check the undersides for aphids or other sucking insects, since these also induce leaf curl.

Texture and leaf size vary depending on light intensity, so identifying can be difficult on small plants.

• hvaldez
    13 years ago

I left the black and blue salvia alone in my garden over the harsh winter. There have been no signs of life this year. I have been keeping my eyes open for another and luckily today I found some at a local nursery and bought them again. Bummed because they were double the price I bought them for last year. I dug up the old ones and found the tubers and still no signs of life. I am going to try to salvage them.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction