Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red salvia id

Posted by juan-rodriguez none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 22:41

Hola, como dije en mi presentaci�n, soy de Escobar, Argentina y trabaj� muchos a�os con un japon�s que amaba las salvias. Esta es una de las que hered� que no s� el nombre. Cualquier ayuda ser� agradecida.

Hi, as I said in my presentation, I'm from Escobar, Argentina and worked many years with Japanese loved the sages. This is one that I inherited do not know the name. Any help will be appreciated.

saludos

Juan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red salvia id

Hola Juan:

Tu salvia parece alguna especie china o híbrido de especies chinas. Necesitaría mas datos sobre follaje, hábito de crecimiento, etc.

Administro el sitio www.salvias.com.ar en Argentina y me gustaría estar en contacto con vos. Por favor escribime a: salvias.com.ar@gmail.com

Saludos desde Mar del Plata

Rolando.

o

Rolando may be correct, but I wonder how this Salvia found its way to Escobar?

It COULD be Chinese, but somehow, I doubt it.

Juan, could you send close-up photos of the flowers and foliage? Did not understand your email...are you suggesting that this from Japan?

Robin.

o

Don't forget to have an image of the calyx, New World and Old World sages differ greatly. The former appear to be V-shaped from the size, with curved inner edges. The latter have short spines at the ends of the five lobes

o

sorry, google translator failure. I worked with a japanese (person, my ex boss). monday or tuesday I will put new images. My camera is my daughter telephone, and is busy.

thank you

o

Hola Juan tendras algun mail o tel donde contactarte. saludos Rolando

o

como no Rolando

juan-rodriguez-1958@hotmail.com

no lo consulto muy seguido, pero me fijo

o

image 2

o

image 3

o

image 4

o

image 5

o

image 6 and comments
1.50 m tall
hummingbirds love it

o

Hola Juan:

Gracias por las fotos. De ninguna manera es asiática, tu salvia es una especie o híbrido perteneciente al subgénero Calosphace (incluye a las salvias de México, centro y Sudamérica).

Seria interesante saber si produce semillas. ¿Es un único ejemplar? ¿Pudiste reproducirla? Sería importante que no se perdiera si es un solo individuo.

Te respondí el mail con las otras especies. Estamos en contacto.

Saludos

Rolando.

o

Besides finding out if this sage is setting seed, the other piece of information of immediate interest is the collection information, if you have it. Details like elevation, soil type, plant associations, and exposure to go along with GPS data are very useful. If not that, then some provenance would be useful, including information from the person you inherited it from.

I agree with Rolando that it is in subgenus Calosphace. The calyx gives that away. As a wild guess, I'm going to say it came from a Pacific Ocean cloud forest, based on its similarity to other sages from Pacific Coast Mexico. There may be similar sages from Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru, maybe Bolivia.

May I forward images to Dr. John Wood at Kew Botanical Gardens, who knows Salvias growing in Colombia and Bolivia?

o

Hola Juan:

¿Como estas? La semana del 21 de Octubre voy a estar en Escobar. ¿Habrá alguna posibilidad de visitar tu colección?

Gracias.

Saludos

Rolando

o

Salvia coccinea?

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia coccinea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here