Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voodoobrew

salvia wish list

voodoobrew
14 years ago

OK, so we have the "which salvias are you growing" thread currently circulating... what about your salvia wish/ want list? I think I NEED to get it down in writing, so that I can realize that there is no way that it will all fit in my garden, given that it's nearly full, LOL. So help me narrow down the best from this list, since I already have ~ 25 salvias growing for my very lucky hummingbirds!

salvia:

madrensis

involucrata

lanceolata

uliginosa

wagneriana

"Waverly"

semiatrata (I do have seeds...)

mex. Lolly or Huntington

darcyi

columbariae

corrugata

dorisiana

nubicola

praeclara

sagittata

subrotunda

spathacea *yellow*

vanhouttei

holwayi

muelleri

sinaloensis

mellisodora

barrelieri

canariensis

discolor

Ideally I should only procure winter blooming (in CA) salvias at this point...

What's on your wish list?

Comments (20)

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Well, you should be able to get these at the Cabrillo College annual sale. There are a lot of nurseries carrying these sages in your area.

My wants? Anything that Christian Froissart, Kathe Navarez, or Robin Middleton grow from Latin America, to trial in my North Carolina environment. I can't do the Eurasian ones because of hot, humid nights. Those I'll send up north, or to places like the Denver Botanical Garden.

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I just checked the Cabrillo sale and it was on Mother's Day. I was living in Germany. I will try to go next year. UCBerkeley and Tilden Botanical Gardens also have good natives sales, and Strybing's are of course great. I just discovered that the Oakland Botanical Garden had a lot of salvias... I got some seed (I always feel a little guilty, but I don't take much!). One of these days I will make it to the UC Santa Cruz arboretum; I read it's very nice.

Another one I want to add: pachyphylla "Blue Flame" -- WOW.

Is there any source of penstemonoides besides the seed? If the plant is so endangered, shouldn't it be offered to more states than NC?...

• jxa44
    14 years ago

i am sooooo lusting after the pictures i've seen of s. dombeyi . . . but i haven't seen it available here in the states :(

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Digging Dog in Albion, CA had it, and is interested in getting it back. There is a wholesale source in the Bay area.

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmm... I Googled s. dombeyi and apparently it's growing in GGPark (San Francisco) and in the Oakland Botanical garden that I mentioned. I might have to go on a little treasure hunt. ;-)

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will be receiving these seeds soon...

Salvia viscosa
    Salvia verbenacea
    Salvia spec. 001 (unidentified perennial sage from Cyprus with a broad flat basal leaf rosette and several branching spikes with clear sky blue flowers)
    Salvia somalensis
    Salvia nubicola
    Salvia lavandulifolia (Spanish Sage)
    Salvia glutinosa (Yellow Sage)
    Salvia columbariae (Chia Sage)
    Salvia carduacea (Thistle Sage)
    Salvia broussonetii
    Salvia canariensis f. candidissimum (Gran Canaria, rare)
    Salvia canariensis (Canary Sage, white Tenerife form)

I went to the Canary Islands about a year ago; it's botanical heaven, there!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

It would be nearly impossible to list those I'd LIKE to grow, though I did make a list about 5 years ago. This is what's left:

africana-lutea, atrocyanea, austriaca, blancoana, blepharophylla, broussonettii-getting, buchanii, bulleyana, cacaliifolia, canariensis, chamaedryoides, chamelaeagnea, chiapas species, cinnabarina, clevelandii, coahuilensis, confertiflora, corrugata, dolomitica, dombeyi, dorisiana, eigii, fallax, forskaohlei-getting, glechomifolia, grahamii, hians-getting, indica, involucrata 'Bethelii', iodantha, jurisicii, lanceolata, lycioides, madrensis, melissodora, michoacan, microstegia, muelleri, nubicola, oresbia, przewalskii, puberula, purpurea, regla, repens, rubiginosa, rypeara/misella, scabra, scutellarioides, sprucei, taraxacifolia, tingitana, transcaucasica, trijuga, viscosa, wagneriana

voodoobrew~I have subrotunda seeds collected this year and some praeclara from a trade. The latter didn't germinate for me, but I had some trouble in the greenhouse. Did you know mice think salvia seeds are delicious? Anyway, if you'd like some, please email me.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I lust after anything that that dosn't have moist or cool in its growing requirements. I want my salvia blowing in the hot wind.
    If I were to only choose one new Salvia for the year it would be Salvia Sessei but since choosing one is beyond my ability to maintain oersonal diccipline ....I would take any of those listed below S. napifolia,S candalabrum, Semiatrata, s. lavadulifolia,S barrelieri. S. greggi terressa, S. perbirula "el Butano Mexican Sage), S Arizonica,Any peachy gregii or gregii like salvia, S taraxafolia, S brandegei, S. apiana...I could go on, ...and on.

• drusilla
    14 years ago

Is there anything mice DON'T think is delicious? Little blighters regularly clear out my seed trays - I think they get in through gaps between the greenhouse panes no more than half a centimetre wide!!

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

They can indeed squeeze through surprisingly narrow slots. I've seen the go through a crack between some bricks and concrete that has separated.

• jaynine
    14 years ago

When they got full, the little poops dug up the rest of the flat and reburied some of the seed in the gravel floor & in with my big geraniums. The greenhouse needs a cat door. Gloria would take care of the problem!

• drusilla
    14 years ago

Not sure I would trust Gloria in there either!! My cats like to sleep on trays full of seedlings and of course trays of fine soil where nothing has come up yet are just nice cat litter boxes.....aren't they?

• desertsage
    14 years ago

And then, how many times have I come home to find the puppies had chased a ground squirrel(chipmunk) through my garden.

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today was the Merritt College plant sale -- great fun! I managed to knock many salvias off my "wish list", at good prices... here is their plant list:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tPq1PBj7gcVspGp3NlQlilw&single=true&gid=0amp;output=html

Now, the salvia gal talked me into one that I had never heard of, and when I got home, I saw that I had managed to pick one without a tag. argh! It's not on the list above (I know, because I brought the list with me to the sale), but I'm pretty sure the cultivar name starts with B (or was it D? Oy, my dyslexia...). Help! It was pretty "ugly" (even she said so), devoured by snails, with foliage that somewhat resembles May Night's. She said the flowers would be blue. Anyone care to guess which salvia it is?? :)

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

We don't have such sales here it will be nice to get something like that started. Is your cultivar name Blue Hill(Blauhugel the German name). I don't know any cultivars
    w/a d.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, after WAY too much searching of alphabetic lists of salvias (I also looked at every picture on Robin's website!), the only one that jogs my memory is salvia bracteata. Yes, I do realize it's not blue, LOL. There aren't many pictures of it out there (foliage in particular), but I can see why she said that the flowers are lovely even though the foliage is ugly. I am either going to call them, or just wing it and see what comes up (but it would be nice to know how big this mystery plant will get!). I bought another salvia from her that didn't have a tag, and she wasn't sure what it was (it's a sport).

This sale was fun; very friendly people there. Even my 5 year old enjoyed it. They had some food and live music. Proceeds benefit the students. I will very likely be taking some classes there very soon in horticulture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia bracteata

• robinmi_gw
    14 years ago

Salvia bracteata is spring-flowering, usually. It has large, pink flowers, very attractive. BUT the plant is untidy, spread of around 2 x 2 ft. Also very sticky, not pleasant to touch. Has been around in Ca for some years.

• lotteh
    13 years ago

I have a lot of small plants of Salvia broussonettii, but can't find anything about the plant.Can any of you tell me a little about it - how tall, which colour, is it annual,perennial or what?

Kind regards Lotte

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

http://www.robinssalvias.com/blue/b.shtm

A little information here.

• lotteh
    13 years ago

Hi Robin

Thanks a lot for the information.

Kind regards Lotte

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!