Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

A Travelogue of the Salvia Summit at Cabrillo College, August 200

rich_dufresne
15 years ago

For the next few days, I will be sending out a preview of a web page that I will shortly create of pictures taken at this year's Salvia Summit at Cabrillo College

Besides the gardens there, I took trips to the gardens of Sandi Martin and Ginny Hunt, in the hills above Cabrillo in Aptos. The Cabrillo garden is just above the narrow coastal plane by about 100 feet. The last set of images comes from Betsy Clebsch's garden on Skyline Drive, just down from the crest towards the Pacific Ocean.

This is not the optimum time of year for maximum salvia bloom. The best time of year is October through December, and probably when spring breaks February on.until it starts to get hot.

The first image is of Salvia lasiantha, a sage I have long lusted for.

{{gwi:1247673}}

The next is Salvia flocculosa at Sandi Martin's garden. It is like a 10 foot tall S. chamaedryoides on steroids, Lots of flowers, though smaller

{{gwi:1247675}}

Next is a closeup of Salvia curviflora, as a 5 gallon pot in the Cabrillo Bot Garden nursery. I expect it to be a good hummer plant along the Gulf Coast as well as the Pacific.

{{gwi:1247677}}

Finally. a Salvia sagittata x macrophylla hybrid from Betsy Clebsch's garden. It has the vigor and durability of macrophylla and much of the form of sagittata. I think it will do well as a temperennial and also in the southeastern USA.

{{gwi:1247678}}

More later.

Comments (6)

• youreit
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you for sharing those gorgeous Salvias with us, Rich! I can't wait for more!

That flocculosa has my name on it. :)

Brenda

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Rich:
    Nice pics Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.
    We will look forward to more pictures,Thanks for sharing!
    Art

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some more sages

Salvia raymondii ssp. mairanae closeup - Cabrillo College

{{gwi:1247679}}

This Bolivian beauty surprised me, as I had gotten the impression it was not showy. It matched S. curviflora in display, and had burgundy colored leaf undersides, blending well with the fuchsia flowers. It might do well along the Gulf coast of the USA. Bloom period unknown, probably late summer or autumn.

A closeup of Salvia melissodora Grape-scented at Ginny Hunt's home.

{{gwi:1247680}}

You can really smell the grape scent, and the moths, butterflies, and bumble bees were busy.

Salvia macrophylla tall form - Cabrillo College

{{gwi:1247682}}

An erect form of macrophylla, with large leaves which have burgundy colored undersides. This appears to be more humidity tolerant as well. It looks like it could give Canna lilies a good run for their money

Salvia x westerae

{{gwi:1247683}}

This is a naturally occurring Bolivian hybrid of S. orbignaei x S. haenkei, and has rather large flowers. Again, it might do well along the Gulf coast. Bloom period unknown.

That's all for today.

• wardda
    15 years ago

The regular macrophylla upright has been very happy in my humid New Jersey garden.

Is curviflora really that neon? It would be great to see some of these offered in the next couple of years.

Melissodora is new to me this year. It is just beginning to set flowers now on 4.5 foot plants. I was hoping for an earlier bloom. The flowers in your photo seem to be considerably larger than mine.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Oh, how I wish we could grow that Salvia curviflora here in NC zone 7. What I could do with that in a color combo!

The Salvia raymondii ssp. mairanae is also a spectacular color and much easier to use with other colors.

If I could grow a 10 foot high salvia, I'd start replacing all of my buddleia.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Cameron (Defining Your Home Garden blog)

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You may be wondering: What happened to the images?"

I had to move them to a different folder on the web site, which is now up.

Here is an image of Salvia dombeyi from its new location:

{{gwi:1247656}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Summit Travelogue web site

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor