Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxa44

A couple of questions . . .

jxa44
14 years ago

OK everybody, i've got a couple of questions --

First question -- I've been gardening for years and have heard from several seasoned gardeners that plants that are herbaceous are hardier than those that drop their leaves. just wondering if has anyone noticed any truth to this theory in your garden with salvias?

second question -- i want a full season of salvia blooms. can someone suggest salvias that bloom spring through winter? to be clear, i'm not necessarily looking for one plant that starts blooming in spring and finishes in the fall, but rather would prefer to have a few salvias that bloom in each season.

many thanx!

joyce

Comments (7)

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

To answer your questions, we will need to know where you live, and the growing conditions, especially sun versus shade.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rich,

I live in northern california -- zone 8/9. i plant my salvias in full sun. summers here are hot -- high 90s. and in the winter we typically get a half foot of snow or so, which stays on the ground for a month or so.

thanx,

joyce

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Joyce:
    Salvia microphylla "Cherry Queen" , S.jurisicii would be
    some of my sugesstions. I am sure Rich would have some others. Our zone 8 (USDA)is no snow and temperatures of
    100 for about 3-4 months rain in spring,fall and some in winter. I would ask what soil type are you in and in the montains or lower elevations ?
    Art

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

That zone rating with snow suggests that the Eurasian sages will work well for you, since they die down to the ground every year, and have tap roots, which can bring up deep moisture.

That is not to say that some of the more woody American sages like the microphyllas won't work.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rich, by "eursian sage" do you mean russian sage?

Art, i'm in the mountains and my soil is decomposed granite. i do have a pink macrophyllia but it doesn't start blooming until late spring/early summer. my russian sage has just started blooming -- so that's two plants that cover two seasons (spring and summer).

any other suggestions?

me

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

By eurasian sages, I mean any of the rosette types, starting with S. pratensis (possible weed) to others of the Russian steppes, Turkey, central Asia, China, Himalaya, to Japan. This group encompasses around 200 to 300 species. The Denver Botanical Garden has a good collection of them. Russian sage is a Perovskia, a genus closely related to Salvia.

You might even want to try S. canariensis.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW! Thanx Rich -- i'll check your web site first for pix and plant info. As for S. canariensis, yes I have that one, and it is my absolute favirite salvia -- it's gorgeous, the hummers like it, and just when i think may have lost it, to my pleasant surprise, a seedling pops up somewhere.

i'm very excited by the many possibilites of your suggestion -- thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

joyce