Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

Salvia gesneraeflora x mexicana `Raspberry Truffle'

rich_dufresne
18 years ago

Attached is an image of a single flower and calyx of Andy Maycen's Salvia gesneraeflora x mexicana `Raspberry Truffle'. It has the habit of S. gesneraeflora but appears to be shorter. Besides the unusual black raspberry color, it blooms a little later than regular mexicanas, but much sooner than gesneraeflora. Hardiness is unknown, but it should withstand heat and humidity well and should be tried in the southeastern USA

{{gwi:1247717}}

Comments (8)

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Beautiful!

"blooms a little later than regular mexicanas"
    Any later & I doubt I'd ever get to see it. I'm waiting for mexicana lime calyx & hoping to see it before we have a frost. Ironically, my friend(who lives 3 miles away)has had hers blooming like crazy for almost 2 weeks. They're both in full sun. Talk about microclimates!
    Rose

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Is the regular mexicana hardy for you or does it reseed? I've heard the limelight reseeds in zone 7 . That looks interesting. Sarah

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All of my mexicanas are hardy in USDA Zone 7 North Carolina, and most set seed. Salvia gesneraeflora can be hand-pollinated. RT will like moisture and fertilizer and be a vigorous grower.

• annebert
    18 years ago

OK Rich, cut it out. You're making me want stuff I don't have room for. Although once I figure out what stuff may overwinter in my garden, I can maybe reduce what I need to overwinter cuttings from. Or maybe I'll just move to NC.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I am bringing up this post again as I have two raspberry truffles and as of today neither is showing any signs of blooming....they just keep growing taller. One is between 6ft. and 7ft. tall and is towwering over Purple majesty. The other is about 5ft. tall. I took some tip cuttings yesterday to grow over the winter to see if I can bring them into bloom soon next year.

I know that tip cuttings are normally not the best way to go but the tips are bigger around than a pencil. If I had gone further down they would have been the size of a dime or larger.

Penny

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hang in there. Mine just started this week. It is still following selections of S. mexicana (Tula, Limelight, RT, Puerto de la Zorra) in the same sequence as last year. Have you ever bloomed a S. mexicana?

Bloom period is temperature related.

Don't pinch back the cuttings, since the spikes are probably still forming on the tips.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I only took cuttings of one of the Raspberry Truffles. I just couldn't bring myself to do the tallest one. I haven't grow a S. mexicana yet but i am looking forward to seeing the blooms on the Raspberry Truffle. The pics of Helena's are just gorgeous!

Penny

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

Mine just started blooming. WOW. This may be my new favorite salvia! The color is so nice... you'd think that this salvia would be more widely available!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!