Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_olympia

Shout Out for x John Whittlesey

dave_olympia
12 years ago

There isn't much out there about this one - said to be a cross of darcyi and microphylla. Looks mostly like darcyi. I've tried darcyi a couple of times here in western WA; it grew OK, not great, and isn't hardy. Quite scraggly. This one, on the other hand, is the most luxurious and flamboyant salvia I've ever grown. The stems have a dense and full cascading effect, layer upon layer, and the tons of blooms are tropical to the max. Hard to believe those long, weighty stems can be supported by the amount of wood underneath. They kind of support each other. I doubt it will be hardy, need to take some cuttings I guess, haven't seen any seeds. Is it sterile? Couple of pics growing with a penstemon and Black and Blue behind. The first is untouched, I let iPhoto "enhance" do what it wanted with the second:

Comments (4)

• jimcrick
    12 years ago

Is this just another name for Silke's Dream I wonder?

• basil108
    12 years ago

I've also enjoyed x John Whittlesey. It's survived several winters in zone 8, including down to 15 degrees F. it doesn't bloom nearly as strongly as S. darcyi in my summer heat and shade, but it does have much better form than S. darcyi, and retains some of darcyi's unique leaf fragrance.

I doubt it's the exact same as Silke's Dream (which I haven't grown). I bought mine from John Whittlesey himself, when he ran Canyon Creek Nursery. He told me (over the phone) that a nearby California grower developed it and then named it after him. Silke's Dream seems to have been developed in Texas, according to online catalog descriptions, though they may be too similar to tell apart, since they share the same parents.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I have x John Whittlsey also and it came from Canyon Creek also. Mine has not done so well, struggling, but it's being moved now and I'm hopeful that it's going to do as well as the one pictured...that's a beaut!

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

My John Whittlesey has performed well through 112 degrees
    but it does not bloom as well as "Silkes Dream" the other
    hybrid of similiar parentage is "Scarlet Spires".
    Some of my other hybrids from "Silkes Dream" have performed
    equally as well.No hybrids from "John Whittlesey" yet.
    John does seem to have more of a red flower than that of
    Silkes orange.It would be nice to grow Penny's Smile"
    some day.
    Art

Sponsored