Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baci_gw

Is this a salvia?

baci
18 years ago

I have been trying for two years to ID this plant. Is this a salvia?

{{gwi:1247827}}

{{gwi:1247829}}

{{gwi:1247831}}

Comments (9)

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

It looks like a Salvia. I am sure I have seen this before, initially thought of S. rypara, but then changed my mind!!!
    Is it perennial? How tall does it grow? Does it set seed?
    How hardy is it? How long are the flowers?

The foliage on the 3rd picture does not resemble that on the 2nd picture with the flowers. Is it the same plant?

Sorry to be "unhelpful"!!!

Regards, Robin.

• Salvia_guy
    18 years ago

It looks like Salvia tiliaefolia.

SG

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

the second one kinda looks like an agastache... but I am not an agastache expert. And I can't see the wee flowers good.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Attractive leaves, could it be S. Nilotica?

• baci
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I tried to get pictures of the flower yesterday, but was unable to. If I find any more flowers I will try again.
    Helena, the flower head of S. Nilotica looks a bit more compact. Now that I see it, I want it, though.
    RobinMi, all three pictures are of the same plant. The bottom one is an immature plant. It is, however, the second generation of the plant pictured, but I do not know if there is any cross pollination. I do have other salvias.
    The plant grows 1.5-2 ft. tall, is sets seed & is very proliferative. I am unsure whether it is annual or perennial, but it looks like it may be an annual. The flowers are purple, tiny, & are ¼" long. It does look like some of the pictures of Salvia tiliaefolia (Tarahumara Chia). It seems like I traded for that seed before. It is not as tall as some of the web pages describe, however, but this is the closest I have come to an ID. My neighborÂs cat tore up my plant markers, so I lost the ID.

I came up with this list of chia varieties  if anyone knows of any more please let me know:

Salvia arizonica, Arizona sage, Desert indigo sage, a purple-flowering annual, Texas native.
    Salvia carnosa, blue-flowering annual, Arizona desert native.
    Salvia columbariae, Chia, Chia sage, California chia, a blue-flowering annual native to California desert. There are 2 varieties of columbarie:
    Variety Salvia columbariae Benth. var. columbariae -- chia P
    Variety Salvia columbariae Benth. var. ziegleri Munz -- Ziegler's sage P
    Salvia polystachya, Chia sage, Chia seed
    Salvia potus, Chia.
    Salvia tiliaefolia (Tarahumara Chia)

• Salvia_guy
    18 years ago

Salvia tiliaefolia.

See Below.

BTW: When you are at the photo below, click NEXT this will take you to a flower photo of S. tliaefolia.

SG

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia tiliaefolia - foliage

• baci
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Salvia_guy. Two years of intermittently posting this pic, & finally an answer! I was kind of depressed whenever I saw this plant come up  now I like it. It is reseeding now  I am going to put it near my native chia & create a mini chia plant section.

• sierradayhiker1
    18 years ago

Very good Salvia Guy,right on the money

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

Some Plectranthus look similar to your image. though the spike arrangement suggests a Salvia. Did you examine the flowers to see if there were only two stamens, each connected by a lever mechanism?

Check the image below for the arrangement of the sexual organs of a typical Salvia flower

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz