Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Does Salvia darcyi self-sow?

susanlynne48
12 years ago

While I am collecting "some" seed from S. darcyi, I am wondering if those seed that fall to the ground will self-sow (assuming viability).

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (9)

• annette68_gw
    12 years ago

Normally there will be babies around the mother,dont think darcyi is a big selfsower like the coccinea and subrotunda though.

Annette

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Annette! I wish I could get subrotunda started here. I've tried sowing seed in containers and direct sowing and neither worked.

'Lady in Red' is another prolific self-sower, much more so than its pink/white counterpart IMHO.

I have taken cuttings of S. darcyi and they root very easily. I just love the large flowers on this Salvia, and so do the hummers.

Susan

• rich_dufresne
    12 years ago

Seed production on S. darcyi is sparse, probably the result of carpenter and other bumble bees poking holes in the flower at the base. This aborts the fertilization process involving the germination of the pollen grains and the formation of the sperm tube to the ovary.

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Well, Richard......we obviously have different bees in England...I have collected 1000s of seeds from S. darcyi this year!

Robin.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I have collected a few seeds of darcyi and am trying a few cuttings in forsythe pots.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Susanlynne

Subrotunda germinates very easily for me in a flat under a dome under a shoplight, I usually start my seed sowing in march.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steve, I have gotten the seed to germinate, but then they just stall out and eventually die. I got my seeds from Remy, altho I'm sure it is not the seed, but rather the sower.

I have collected a few seeds, Rich, finally. You are right about the bees, though. I have found quite a few of the calyces with holes in them from bees, and no seed developing or developed. I have a butterfly garden, and most plants attract the other pollinators, including bees, as well. Because of the recent issues with bees and bumblebees, I have also planted a lot bee plants as well. An "all pollinators welcome here" garden.

Cuttings are probably the best route for propagation of this plant, and I do have two now, but wanted to share with some hummer friends. This was its first year, and it bloomed beautifully. A truly lovely Salvia.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Susan

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Darcyi is more sprawly than 'Black and Blue' so it's pretty easy to pull down a stem and cover it with soil to make a new plant.
    I haven't gotten any volunteers from seeds here but I'm just in zone 6. I've started them from seed in containers but didn't have good luck getting the seedlings to winter over after I planted them out. I do better with transplanting layered ones.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Christie! My plant that I ordered from Bustani grew to a substantial size this summer. I planted it at the edge of my pine tree, where it gets partial shade. It bloomed like crazy. It's still blooming! I will definitely try the layering. The cuttings strike quickly as well. I have two I started in September. I just wanted to collect seed if I could to share with others, but it may not be that I will get much, if any.

Thanks again for the help!

Susan