Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monica33flowers

How do you find different Salvia's?

monica33flowers
15 years ago

Here in Wisconsin I was luck to find two types of salvia this past year.

Where do all of you find the different varieties of plants? I just saw a picture of a purple variety which was absolutely gorgeous and would look lovely with my roses.

Comments (5)

• jxa44
    15 years ago

Hi monica,

i buy a lot of mine from the web. there are an aweful lot of really good sellers on the internet. two of my favs are:

anniesannuals.com
    joycreek.com

oh! and diggingdog.com too

(I'm in northern california)

best of luck!

j.

• wardda
    15 years ago

You go to Robinssalvias and A world of salvia and read all you can about individual species and hybrids and then do a search of the particular species that interests you - you'll find lots of vendors. Once you figure out what you'd like to grow ask advice at places like this. The conversations and questions have helped a lot of us and cut years off our learning curve.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I'm fortunate to live in North Carolina where there are nurseries around that sell salvias.

I have 5 colors of greggii, my favorites. They make wonderful mass plantings and are blooming like crazy right now. I also have 3 mass plantings of black & blue and those are still blooming. I'm not a collector, though. I'm a deer resistant gardener and salvias (with agastaches) are perfect!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    15 years ago

I have been experimenting with some californian salvias in Central texas. I did get some that are rated Z 9 and I am in z8bishso we will see. The S. Aromas weren't too hgappy about the hugely wet summer last year followed by the dead dry winter but they lived and seem very happy right now. I also have the salvia repens west texas form and I really want that to work but it seems to be not happy and I can't figure out why. My Regla and chiquitas are blazing away.greggiis are always good here. The hotlips that got the full morning sun and no water and caliche croaked but those on the north side of the oaks is doing fine. We get many people that experiment with salvias down here. I need ones that take dry abuse and poor soil.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

wantonamara
    I live in Central Texas also,some other salvias to try
    are S.farinacea Henry Duelberg or Augusta and try species
    not horticultural forms like victoria etc they don't make it.Salvia microphylla "San luis potasi",Cherry Queen. Hotlips being from the pacific side of Mexico has different genetics more suited to garden soil and watering as well as some afternoon shade.If you can find it S.engelmannii, lycioides,ballotaeflora,chamaedryoides grow on rock out crops too. In shade S.roemeriana morning sun S melissodora. The x jamensis (Sierra San Antonio etc..) forms don't like it here unless grown from seed S. greggii"Moonglow" is one exception.A relative to S.regla - S sessei does well here also.With more soil and water than Calache...coccinea,mexicana,madrensis,involucrata,elegans
    blepharophylla,azurea,scabra,darcyi guaranitica Hybrids Indigospires,Mystic spires,Purple Magesty etc.. I have
    not been able to keep California Salvias alive here but
    I have more clay than calache. There may be a few I did not
    list,anyway have fun experimenting!

Sponsored