Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ggwrn

Salvia blepharophylla and salvia limelight

ggwrn
16 years ago

Hi,

This is my first time posting in this forum. Over the last few years I have really become interested in salvias. I recently saw pictures of Salvia blepharophylla and salvia limelight, I would love to have plants next spring. Does anyone know of a good source for them??

Ginger

Comments (13)

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Ginger, I have salvia mexicana limelight that I grew from seed. I don't know if I will get any seeds because it is a late season bloomer and the bumblebees tore into a lot of the flowers. I do see some green seeds but we will probably have frost before they get ripe. I got my seeds from someone on gardenweb last year. Anyone who lives in a warm enough climate should have no problem getting seeds from it.

Becky
    ramazz

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Salvia mexicana Limelight sets seed fairly readily and S. blepharophylla usually sets none.

Which form of the latter would you be interested in? There is Diablo, Painted Ladies, Dulces Nombres (very hard to find), and an unnamed old-fashioned form. A few nurseries have the latter. A Google search should turn up some sources for the first two.

• myartichokeheart
    16 years ago

I have tons of Salvia 'Limelight' seeds and thought I had plenty of S. blepharophylla till I saw Rich's response. The Salvia they came from has black stems, small red blooms, and makes LOTS of seeds.

Get in touch. At least I can send the Limelight with confidence.

Kip

• ggwrn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for replying to my post. Becky and Kip, I sent you both emails.
    Rich, I am not even familiar enough with the S. blepharophylla to realize there were different varieties. I just saw pictures of it and the limelight and thought they were beautiful. I had been wanting black and blue salvia for a couple of years, this year I was lucky enough to get 6 plants a Lowe's all marked down to $1 on there clearance rack. I was so excited.

Ginger

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Hey, Kip! Can you post a picture of your salvia so Rich can tell us if it is the real s. blepharophylla?

Becky

• teacup754
    16 years ago

Rich, I got a S blepharophylla Painted Lady from Yucca Do nursery a few years ago. This year for the first time I am seeing babies around it. I haven't dug around them, so do you think they are spreading from the mother plant? if so, when would be a good time to move them or am I just better off leaving them where they are?

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

The offshoots are big enough to transplant when they have about 3 to 6 pairs of full-sized leaves. The amount of leaves needed is a function of soil fertility and weather (including time of year). Don't transplant if you have a good chance of frost heaving.

• teacup754
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info Rich. A few are probably big enough that I may take a chance at moving them. We don't have heavy winters here and fall is usually the best time to transplant perennials.

• junior_bride
    16 years ago

Hello to the experts in this forum! Saw this Salvia blepharophylla on jardinere.net and then on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Salvia-blepharophylla-Eyelash-Sage-HUMMERS-seeds_W0QQitemZ150186857286QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Which cultivar is this ?

Jane

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

I need to see the leaf shapes, especially the margins and the width to length ratio to tell. All have similar flowers, though the yellow pollen on Diablo sticks out like a couple of horns, hence the name. It and Painted Ladies are from the same collection seed lot. The old fashioned form (no cultivar name) is much like Painted Ladies, and the hardest to propagate is Dulces Nombres (Sweet Numbers) with the stubbiest leaves and the edge hairs most prominent. It came from the type location (where the original collection was made, then written up in a taxonomic journal).

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

DO NOT buy any seeds on ebay that come from Turkey. There is a major scam going on. The culprit has been removed but keeps registering under another name. Recently taken in and ordered S. kronenburgii, what I received is almost certainly Bindweed!

Blepharophylla 'Painted Lady' is a wonderfully vibrant colour.

• junior_bride
    16 years ago

NO Robinmi the ebay seller that I am looking at is not from Turkey. He/she doesn't have pictures of the leafs.

Jane

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Jane, I have a few seeds for you of 'Painted Lady' they should come true as this is the only form of blepharophylla which I grow. Check my website www.robinssalvias.com and email me for a seed list.

Robin.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor