Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

What is the name of the purple/white salvia?

bellarosa
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the name of the purple/white salvia? I saw it at a conservatory and unfortunately, it wasn't labelled.

I didn't have my camera either. Darn!

Comments (10)

• skrip
    18 years ago

Salvia Leucantha (Mexican Bush Sage)

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

Here is a picture of mine that I purchased three years ago and have overwintered for the subsequent two years. I love this one and have to admit that it was Rich Dufresne that introduced it to me several years ago!

{{gwi:624605}}

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Miguel,
    That's it! Where did you get it from? I fell in love with it when I saw it at our local Conservatory. Of course, it wasn't labelled and no one there knew the name.

Thanks.

P.S. Are you the same Miguel from the Clematis Forum? I guess you like to wander to other Forums like me!

• carrie751
    18 years ago

Miguel, when you say you overwintered - does that mean you dig it up and bring it inside? Does it root easily? It is a beautiful plant - thanks for sharing.

• skrip
    18 years ago

One of the easiest plants to root. Its one of those 'just stick it in the gound' types. I have given away and grown more than 5 bushes out of 1 in only a year.

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

Bellarosa, yes I am the one and the same person from the clematis forum. I too roam many forums since I have varied interests. The plant came from a nursery in Sanford, NC whose name can't be mentioned on this forum or your post will be deleted.

Carrie, this plant overwinters in the ground for me. In the past, I have had this plant and it didn't survive for me. I was told not to trim the stalks on the plant down in the fall after the plant had died back due to frost and to pile some shredded leaves around the base of the plant. This supposedly helps to prevent water from getting down the stems and rotting the crown over the winter. In my zone, we tend to have lots of ice storms and even if I don't trim the plant back in the fall, by the end of winter most of the stems look like they have been trimmed back as they are snapped off from the wind and ice. Regardless, the two years I have not trimmed it back and used the leaf mulch around the base, the plant has returned. This year the plant is not quite as large as last year probably due to our late spring and then our hot and very dry summer. But who can't love a plant that survives all that, blooms nonstop (it's still blooming), and whose flowers look great dried and used in arrangements.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

I have LOTS of this Salvia and haven't ever tried drying it. Thanks for the hint.

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

No problem Westelle. I can't remember where I first saw it dried and used in an arrangement but once I did, I became an avid proponent of using it in arrangements. It dries easily by bundling it and hanging it upside down for a couple of weeks.

• carrie751
    18 years ago

Thanks, Miguel, it should work for me here in North Texas. I have to overwinter a lot of plants in this manner. It is a beautiful plant.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Miguel,
    Thanks for the info. Its a beautiful plant. I'll try and find it next year.