Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering black and blue salvia

Posted by zone6newbie Zone 6 - NY (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 11:47

Greetings!

I have seen multiple posts re: this topic -- but still have a few questions -- any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

1) KEEPING IT IN THE HOUSE: If I bring my potted b&b salvia into the house -- should I leave it in a sunny room? Is it okay for it to be in a heated house all winter? Does it need a special grow light?

2) KEEPING IT IN THE GARAGE/BASEMENT: Does it require a dormancy period -- should I put it in the dark/cold windowless basement - (or unheated garage) and not water it at all?

3) Either way -- does it need to be watered (lightly) throughout the winter?

4) Do I need to cut down the green stems or can I just leave it "as is?"

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering black and blue salvia

Wherever you keep it, it will go dormant, even in a greenhouse. You can cut it back when growth has stopped. It will need just enough moisture to keep it slightly damp.

The plant can be kept in a sunroom or vestibule as long as temps get no lower than 25 degrees for the deepest part of winter. This pretty much applies to an unheated garage or basement as well. It should not be left in a hot (60 degrees or more) area for long. Increasing the warmth is more important when winter breaks into spring.

Look for stolons to poke out, mostly around the rim of the pot. When this happens, it is breaking dormancy and will meed more light, heat, moisture, and some fertilization. This is when grow lights can become useful, if the plant is kept in a dark area.

Another way to winter your plant over is to pack various sizes of plastic bags with leaves, and arrange them around the perimeter of your flower bed to fill in holes, with others filling in holes inside the perimeter, and covering with a tarp. A friend in Red Wing, MN (USDA Zone 5) has wintered over zone 7 salvias this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here