Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia coccinea 'forest fire' from seed?

Posted by bella_trix z6b SE PA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 07 at 14:34

Will Forest fire grow back true from seed? I don't think I have any other coccinea growing nearby. I really liked this plant. The black and red flowers looked great interplanted with Black and Blue salvia.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This picture's from July. Later in the season the side bed was a mass of red, blue and black. Beautiful. Plus the hummingbirds and hummingbird moths loved it.

Thanks,
Bellatrix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia coccinea 'forest fire' from seed?

My 'Forest Fire' all came true from seed.....maybe more by luck. Wonderful strain of S. coccinea, and well-behaved.

Robin.

o

Do you have any other coccineas? If not, it will probably come true. Mine dropped seed and I had several small ones coming up, and even though I do have Lady in Red and several others nearby, I saw several little 'Forest Fires' growing near the big plant.

Becky
ramazz

o

I get volunteers but they come up a little late. They still have plenty of time to bloom. I have winter sowed them with good luck too. If you have any large pots or containers sitting outside, try throwing some seeds in there right now. You don't need to cover them or anything. They'll come up earlier than the volunteers on the ground and be easy to spot.
My seedlings had black calyxes like the parent.

o

Reminds me of my Lady in Red, except my LIR got so big that they and my black and blue were battling it out for growing space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here