Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoefly_gw

Not sure what to expect in the Spring...

shoefly
18 years ago

This summer was my first summer married and in a new home. My husband and I were new to landscaping/gardening but did a lot to try to beautify our new place. We saw some salvia at our local nursery and bought a bunch of it to plant around a big tree in front of our house (Red, salmon, & white - I think the variety is Splendens). It has thrived all year and is still in constant bloom. It has not been deadheaded, fed, or watered except for what it received from watering the lawn. I love the way it looks and would love to have the salvia growing around the tree again next year. I am confused as to whether this will come back on its own or if I must replant in the spring. I have seen Salvia described as an annual and a perennial. Does that depend on the zone or type or both? If I must plant again can I do it from seeds to so it will be less expensive? If so, when do I plant the seeds?

P.S. I live in zone 6 borderline-A/B

Thank you in advance for your advice:)

Comments (2)

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

My books say that S. splendens is damaged at 30 degrees, so maybe you can tell from that. The different species of Salvias can be very tender to very hardy. If you like Salvias you might look for ones that are hardy in your area next spring.

• cait1
    18 years ago

Hi!
    Salvia splendens is an annual. Look to see if you can find seed to save then sow them in spring after all danger of frost is gone, late April or early May.
    I remember the City had them planted in the beds on Park and 5th Ave every summer.
    Cait

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource