Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annette68_gw

Salvia urica

annette68_gw
12 years ago

I am a little confused by salvia urica,there are 2 froms yes,a tall form and a low form, I believe that the salvia 'blue riboon' that gets around in Australia under that name is salvia urica, the one that is named salvia urica is a purple flowering one with different shaped flowers, the colour on

this is definately purple, now from everything that I read it

is variable but blue flowering in that case, the one that gets around here in Oz is not urica and the one that goes under the name of blue ribbon is but nobody has bothered to change the name and rectify, there is already a salvia blue ribbon in the splendens range so it is creating confusion.

Can anyone help me out and can the real salvia urica please stand up:)

The picture of the odd shaped one,it is not blue the old camera came out blue took some pics today it is purple so dont be deceived.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia urica

Comments (12)

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I named this salvia urica 'blue ribbon' but it gets around as Blue ribbon.It looks like all the other urica images that I have googled.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia 'Blue ribbon'

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

You have to be aware that the lovely Salvia urica is VERY variable......I have at least 3 forms. What is confusing and annoying, is that if you take seeds from the delightful "short form", they invariably revert to the normal, tall form!

Then again, though not hardy, seeds survive in frozen ground, and new plants appear in late summer...again with variations. I LOVE this species!

Suggest that the name 'Blue Ribbon' is questioned until it can be proved that this really is a form of S. urica, and not a hybrid,

Just to add to the mucking fuddle.........friend of mine in the UK is growing a super plant which would seem to be a hybrid of urica x perhaps the yet un-named species from Guatemala (perhaps biserrata)....rather special with deep violet flowers.....just starting to flower here, will put a photo on my site soon.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So taking that into consideration then the blue ribbon has to be the tall species, as it comes true from seed and doesnt revert,the purple flowering one I just dont know why are the flowers purple and differently shaped, it must be the low form then, ahhh the headaches in getting these species sorted oot,on another subject has the gorgeous sl411 got a real name yet,seems such a shame to have a rego id:)

A

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

No.........after 7 or 8 years, it is still SL411...I give up!

• jimcrick
    12 years ago

My short form and tall form (the latter always seeding about as Robin writes above) both have fairly hairless leaves but I also have an intermediate height form that has a softer, hairy leaf. I love them all.

Jim

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a shot of the short purple flower,presuming this is the low form of urica.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia urica low form (?)

• rich_dufresne
    12 years ago

There is a third form of urica, collected by friends of J L Hudson in Oaxaca, which has these flowers. The low form of urica, which I lost, is much like the tall form, except for habit, and has the samw blue flowers, with the lobes of the lower lip held open, not deflexed as in your image. The deflexed lobes are characteristic of the JLH form, which has foliage with a stronger scent, reminiscent of old gelatin capsules.

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Well...........a confused Salvia! I now have another form, fairly compact, from Gill Barlow, another British Salvia-nut. This has larger flowers, is so-so compact, and beautiful.

Other one which I mentioned earlier, with violet flowers, may well be a hybrid...with biseratta????Who knows! But it is special.

Seeds that I am offering this year (www.robinsssalvias.com) are from different forms of urica........could produce some great plants!

Many volunteer seedlings this year, all seem to have reverted to the tall form.

Robin.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You think you are confused Robin, what about the poor urica,he doesnt know if he is tall or short or purple or a hybrid and more,maybe it should be called Salvia Arthur or Martha:)

Annette

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Moving on..........

• rich_dufresne
    12 years ago

Salvia amarissima has lavender flowers and is a close relative of S. urica

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Really? OK, they are from the same section "uricae" but apart from their habit to seed around everywhere, they do look quite different. But both are delightful Salvias, even if most flowers drop off after mid-day......oh, another similar trait!

Sponsored