Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Need help trying to ID this plant

hummersteve
15 years ago

I had given up on this plant blooming this year and now that it has I have forgotten what it is. This plant has velvet soft leaves. Surely someone can help.

{{gwi:1248319}}

{{gwi:1248345}}

Comments (10)

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

I am pretty sure this is Salvia sagittata. Did you start it from seed? I think Ginny Hunt may be discontiuing it from her list, so alternate sources would be welcome.

I have gotten a hybrid of this with S. macrophylla which is stunning.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks very much rich , thats what I thought but I wasnt sure. Your hybrid sounds interesting. I very much enjoyed the Blue ensign you sent me it was about 4ft tall or better and very much enjoyed by my hummingbirds. It and the tutti fruitti were the favorites of most of the hummers here.

• drusilla
    15 years ago

Quite sure it's out of the S sagittata stable but this may be a hybrid too (not the one Rich has) - the flowers seem a bit different from the plants I had (from Ginny's seed). Have been discussing this recently with Robin - if you're reading this, Robin, do you have a comment? Do you think this is the same as the 'other' possible hybrid you've got (i.e. not the macrophylla one)?

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Count on sedlings from sagittata x macrophylla hybrids to be typical F2 generation plants. This means that the hybrid's seedlings will vary all over the place, especially in leaf shape.

There was a post previously on another forum (I think) where the author took foliage shots of her seedlings, illustrating this.

• drusilla
    15 years ago

Do you think this one could be a macrophylla hybrid, then? I agree the flowers look like it, but all the 'definite' (ha ha) macrophylla hybs I've seen have (surprise) much larger leaves and are very like each other. Maybe these are the F1s and the ones like the photo are F2s?

• robinmi_gw
    15 years ago

This could be a hybrid, or just a "form" of sagittata. The foliage is different from my strange hybrid.

Drusilla, put me out of my misery.....who are you???

Robin.

• drusilla
    15 years ago

Thought you'd guess straight away, Robin! You'll work it out before long - we saw each other very recently!

I thought this picture looked a lot like your second possible hybrid (the other possibility of course is that this and yours are true S sagittata and the slightly different ones I had weren't - but I did see 'my' type under this name at Rodbaston.)

• robinmi_gw
    15 years ago

Still down to 3 possibilities....but strongly suspect you are from Lleyn peninsula????

Love, Robin.

• asageman
    15 years ago

Hi,

It looks like Blue Arrow Leaf Sage to me. I have one growing myself from seed that looks exactly the same.

• drusilla
    15 years ago

Spot on, Robin!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus