Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help trying to ID this plant

Posted by hummersteve Indy (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 18:36

I had given up on this plant blooming this year and now that it has I have forgotten what it is. This plant has velvet soft leaves. Surely someone can help.

sal penstemonoides oct 6

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help trying to ID this plant

I am pretty sure this is Salvia sagittata. Did you start it from seed? I think Ginny Hunt may be discontiuing it from her list, so alternate sources would be welcome.

I have gotten a hybrid of this with S. macrophylla which is stunning.

o

Thanks very much rich , thats what I thought but I wasnt sure. Your hybrid sounds interesting. I very much enjoyed the Blue ensign you sent me it was about 4ft tall or better and very much enjoyed by my hummingbirds. It and the tutti fruitti were the favorites of most of the hummers here.

o

Quite sure it's out of the S sagittata stable but this may be a hybrid too (not the one Rich has) - the flowers seem a bit different from the plants I had (from Ginny's seed). Have been discussing this recently with Robin - if you're reading this, Robin, do you have a comment? Do you think this is the same as the 'other' possible hybrid you've got (i.e. not the macrophylla one)?

o

Count on sedlings from sagittata x macrophylla hybrids to be typical F2 generation plants. This means that the hybrid's seedlings will vary all over the place, especially in leaf shape.

There was a post previously on another forum (I think) where the author took foliage shots of her seedlings, illustrating this.

o

Do you think this one could be a macrophylla hybrid, then? I agree the flowers look like it, but all the 'definite' (ha ha) macrophylla hybs I've seen have (surprise) much larger leaves and are very like each other. Maybe these are the F1s and the ones like the photo are F2s?

o

This could be a hybrid, or just a "form" of sagittata. The foliage is different from my strange hybrid.

Drusilla, put me out of my misery.....who are you???

Robin.

o

Thought you'd guess straight away, Robin! You'll work it out before long - we saw each other very recently!

I thought this picture looked a lot like your second possible hybrid (the other possibility of course is that this and yours are true S sagittata and the slightly different ones I had weren't - but I did see 'my' type under this name at Rodbaston.)

o

Still down to 3 possibilities....but strongly suspect you are from Lleyn peninsula????

Love, Robin.

o

Hi,

It looks like Blue Arrow Leaf Sage to me. I have one growing myself from seed that looks exactly the same.

o

Spot on, Robin!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here