Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roots broke while transplanting

Posted by lazygardener z8 OR ,Bverton (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 18:38

Salvia Hot lips
I have somehow split the roots vertically while transplanting. It has separated into 2 detached sections. Not sure what to do I have replated both the sections together. Will it survive ?

-LG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roots broke while transplanting

Forgot to add that the roots were all woody sections.

o

They can survive, but I would expect the plant to be weak and susceptible to infections. Take cuttings when possible. The biggest factor in moving sages is to make sure you have terminal fine root hairs. The tops have to be pruned to match the losses of the root system.

o

Salvia is pretty tuff.
I manhandled a S. rubescens while transplanting it last weekend. It too came apart into 2 sections.
I just made sure the replanted sections got some moisture if they looked wilted during the last week.
Both parts seem to have taken...some overcast weather during the past 3 days has helped.
One section is setting bloom spikes.
Not sure if all salvias are so forgiving. Good luck with yours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here