Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

Two new red Salvias now in the United States

rich_dufresne
16 years ago

Here is the first of two JPG images of the Salvias from seed sent to me by Robin Middleton.

Salvia SL411 is a new species from Peru in section Biflorae that thrived in our heat and drought and bloomed freely as soon as it got 18 - 24 inches tall. Salvia tubiflora and oppositiflora are other members of this section

Salvia c.f. darcyi is probably S. dichlamys, and forms a compact microphylla-like bush with flowers that suggest strong relationships to both S. microphylla and the cardinalis form of S. fulgens. It handled the heat well, but was slower to bloom than the new Biflorae sage and needed to get 24 inches tall before blooming.

Here is the link:

http://www.eclectasy.com/gallery_of_salvias/newred1.html

Comments (5)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Those are both very vibrant and pretty. I wonder how they'd do in our hot, DRY climate?

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It remains to be seen about the amount of sunlight and dew point (humidity), but as to drought, they did well. The broad leaved one (section Biflorae) likes some shade and is a bit of a water hog, as the glossy, broad foliage indicates.

The Salvia dichlamys, with its smaller, grayer leaves, is definitely more xeric.

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

Salvia SL411 has done very well for me in the south. I like it a lot, putting on it's second set of flowers.
    I do want to try salvia dichlamys as soon as Rich has it available!!

Helena

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Rich and Helena:

Those are beauties. Helena, did you have hummingbirds visit yours?

Becky

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

Becky, My salvia SL411 was right next to my red coccineas though I didn't catch them using it I'm sure they did. I only had a few hummers at a time but I read of someone else who has SL411 and actually saw hummers using it. I plan on having more than just one plant this coming spring.

Helena

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County