Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia greggii x karwinskii cold/shade tolerance

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 19:42

We have a few Salvia greggii x karwinskii (Riverside?) thriving in a full sun southern exposure. I'm considering adding one in a spot facing northeast with exposure to sun most of the day in summer, less sun in the cooler months. I would not consider it a shady spot, but it does get less sun than the others.

How much shade/cold can this plant tolerate to bloom as well in full sun? Our winter temps can get dip to 26F, but most years about 30F. This spot will be low water, so over-watering should not be an issue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia greggii x karwinskii cold/shade tolerance

We grow these in full sun in coastal Northern California. I bet even in SoCal they can take almost full sun. As far as cold, ours have taken 25 degrees in stride. We list it as Zone 8 with mulching.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 1:28

Thank you, Kermit. I know it can take full sun because ours thrive there now. I'm wondering if it would bloom as well in a spot with less afternoon sun.

o

At the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden outside Charlotte, NC (USDA Zone 8a), it proved hardy in sun. The critical factor seems to be drainage, since the one planted on a high spot overwintered, whereas the one that was planted in a low spot that held too much moisture died.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 13:37

Thank you, Richard. Ours get adequate moisture in full sun and seem very happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here