Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wardda_gw

Seeding greggii Wild Thing

wardda
15 years ago

It has been wonderful to watch all the seedlings of Wild Thing grow old enough to bloom - it has out produced all the other forms of both greggii and microphylla by a long shot. Oddly, at least to my unschooled eye,none of them are anything like the parent. Most of the dozen or so seedlings are white, probably the other parent is one of the greggii White growing nearby. One of these which was taken to my porch for propagation to my untrained eye has a much better flower, not recurved like the white one, but flatter and larger and very pure white. The other whites are not so good so far. Wild Thing has also crossed with microphylla. One of those seedlings is many times as tall as any other seedlings and looks like it may be a cross from a row of Neurepia some 300 feet away - Orange Door might be another possibiliy. Its flowers are red the first day and then turn a light pink for the next few days before dropping. It sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does. How large might this hybrid grow when mature?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH