Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathen1

Salvia chiapensis

Heathen1
18 years ago

Okay... I am dying for some Salvia chiapensis, though a friend who knows his stuff says that where I live, even a drop below 35º would put an end to it... he says his died when he lived in a solid zone 10, and I live where it's a wee bit cooler... a zone 10a. BUT the government is forecasting a warm winter... last time it didn't drop below 40º, so at least I will get one year. Anyone know for SURE?

Thanks

Comments (19)

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

I haven't been able to save a chiapensis yet in any of my many microclimates. I have a beautiful one in a pot on the patio tha I just may put in the barn to see if I can manage to keep it alive. I WILL take cuttings tho'.

• youreit
    18 years ago

Ugh! I just bought one at a local fall plant sale in Sunset zone 14. I was sad when I got home and read that it probably won't be happy here (and isn't supposed to be happy there in SS zone 14, either!).

I'll do what I can, and keep my fingers crossed. I think you should go for it, Heathen! Live dangerously! :D

Brenda

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

:o) hmmm... interesting... a post I posted before is missing... :o( It said that if Westelle couldn't grow it through the winter in Fresno... I have no chance! :o) BUT, since I am like Brenda, I live in zonal denial, so I will have to try! :D one other indoor plant, who will notice? :D

• karen__w z7 NC
    18 years ago

I overwintered one in a pot in my garage a couple of years ago. It typically gets down to about 40 F in there, maybe a few degrees less that particular winter. I'm planning on repeating the experiment this year.

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Mine died in the garage last winter.:(

Rose

• youreit
    18 years ago

Just so you know, I SAW that post you made, Heathen! It was there yesterday before I posted. So, we're both crazy. :D

Brenda

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have been noticing more an more... disappearing threads and posts.... ivillage is sloppier than Spike was..
    How cold does your garage get, Rose? I will probably have to bring it in the house... BUT, I am hoping it only drops below 40º once in awhile...

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Last year I didn't pay attention to when s.chiapensis died. But because of ths post I have been watching it the temperatures were in the high 30's the past two nights and yesterday it stayed in the 40's and it's still going strong. so I will continue to moniter until it dies Sarah

• skrip
    18 years ago

I really enjoyed my Chiapensis this summer. But an Indigo Spires and Hot Lips have grown over and around it. I cant really dig it out cause I dont have any areas that get the same amount of shade/sun. I hope they dont kill it though.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

You know I looked at my garden today because it's going down to freezing tonight plus it's the first day that hasn't rained in a while. It's survival of the most agressive and the delicate ones are lost. I lost a chiapensis in my main flower garden and an involucrata too. Anyway here's the one that survived
    center>
    {{gwi:1248579}}
    {{gwi:1248582}}

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, that's sad... :o( Bye salvia! It still hasn't really gotten down to the 40's here yet, hoping for a very warm winter! :o)

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Heathen1, I'm not sure how cold it got, but I'm sure it didn't help that the boys left the garage open while outside, etc.
    Who said it was going to be a warm winter? I heard a cold one(at least on the east coast), but I'd rather go with your forecast!
    Rose

• skrip
    18 years ago

I do agree that its survival of the fittest, or most aggressive, thats for sure.

I have tried to plant my gardens with an idea of how big things will get, but sometimes I just cant help it and overplant. In this case where the other 2 salvias are growing over my chiapensis, thats what I say. Kinda makes it fun too. Cause sometimes when you give the proper space, it just doesnt look right. At least during the first few years.

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay... got my chiapensis today! :o) It's staying inside for the winter.... :o) I don't want to chance it yet. STILL the tag says zone 8!!! Course, it came from like Connecticut or something, very far away from a zone 8.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Heathen last night again in the thirty's and it'still going strong!

Skrip, I found my other chiapensis it was hiding behind my 51 inch salvia discolor that I just dug up.

Sarah

• youreit
    18 years ago

It's ok, Heathen. I planted mine a couple weeks ago, so I'll be the guinea pig this time. :D

If you hear sobbing near Woodland this winter, that'll be me.

Brenda

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brenda, isn't Woodland WARMER than Sac? My problem is, I am in the process of moving into my BF's house. Where I lived before was closer to downtown and warmer.... :o( I think at least... I am hoping that this house is on a little hill so that the cold doesn't settle.
    I am just being wimpy, because I JUST got the plant, and it came from a greenhouse.... I haven't gotten a chance to enjoy it yet. Maybe I will pot it, and then each summer bury it and dig it up.... we'll see how lazy I get.

• youreit
    18 years ago

Well, I'm not sure how much warmer Woodland is, but I'm just north, outside of Knights Landing, and we have open fields all around and the Sac River within sight. Plenty of room for the cool to settle, however, I'm hoping the huge shade tree in the yard (and the neighbor's oleander) will provide some protection for the little darling. :D

Brenda

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

I've overwintered S. chiapensis in Greensboro, NC (USDA Zone 7b) after it spread into a clump about 16 inches wide. Much of it did not make it, but it filled back in the next summer. It was in a raised sandy loam bed in a protected area and partially covered with oak leaves. Most tropical salvias are heavy feeders and adding some humus to the soil will improve their vigor and resistance to both summer and winter stress.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm