Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldroser

Pineapple sage bonanza

oldroser
16 years ago

I stopped off at a local nursery ten days ago to ask for regular pineapple sage and Golden Delicious. They sold me a $4. straggly plant of the regular kind and then led me out in back of the greenhouses to show me a wire window box lined with moss and crammed full of Golden Delicious about three feet high which they were discarding. So, for free, I took it, basket and all (including a couple of angelonias and a little yellow daisy) and he put it in the back of the car for me. Once I got it out onto the driveway, I broke off a few shoots, put them in a mason jar of water on an east window sill and they are already rooted.

Tomorrow I'll transfer them to pots to bring inside. I've had very good luck over the years, standing the pots in a south window - they bloom all winter. Now to get some cuttings fo the plain leaf kind.

Incidentally, the new little plants are going to be sprayed with Avid (for spider mite) and idminacloprid (for everything else) before they come in permanently. That should keep them reasonably clean for the winter.

Meanwhile that huge bush of Golden Delicious is lighting up the front garden. Think maybe next spring I'll replant the basket with more of the pineapple sage as it looks really good alongside the driveway.

Comments (4)

Sponsored