Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple sage bonanza

Posted by oldroser z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 07 at 20:58

I stopped off at a local nursery ten days ago to ask for regular pineapple sage and Golden Delicious. They sold me a $4. straggly plant of the regular kind and then led me out in back of the greenhouses to show me a wire window box lined with moss and crammed full of Golden Delicious about three feet high which they were discarding. So, for free, I took it, basket and all (including a couple of angelonias and a little yellow daisy) and he put it in the back of the car for me. Once I got it out onto the driveway, I broke off a few shoots, put them in a mason jar of water on an east window sill and they are already rooted.
Tomorrow I'll transfer them to pots to bring inside. I've had very good luck over the years, standing the pots in a south window - they bloom all winter. Now to get some cuttings fo the plain leaf kind.
Incidentally, the new little plants are going to be sprayed with Avid (for spider mite) and idminacloprid (for everything else) before they come in permanently. That should keep them reasonably clean for the winter.
Meanwhile that huge bush of Golden Delicious is lighting up the front garden. Think maybe next spring I'll replant the basket with more of the pineapple sage as it looks really good alongside the driveway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple sage bonanza

I haven't used Pineapple Sage inside the house. That would be really pretty at Xmas..... a big plant right in front of the big windows. Thanks for the idea.

PS. Lucky you for all your free plants.

o

Lucky you!

My Golden Delicious just started blooming again. I'm going to try rooting them in water as it's almost time to start thinking about overwintering. Thanks for the tip.

Maria

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 21:37

I have just plain old S. elegans, but the hummingbirds sure do love it. If I can just get the Black and Blue to do as well, so all those red flowers are balanced out, I'll be happy.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 9:32

I always refer to my large outside clump of elegans as my Christmas tree. Granted, it's "decorated" in fall, but I love Christmas any time of year. :D She's blooming her head off right now, bless her heart. And I didn't think she'd make it through the week of lower 20F temps last year!

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here