Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nighttime lights interfering with blooming

Posted by ladyslppr z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 5, 06 at 21:41

I have planted several types of Salvias in planters in front of my office in Orange County, CA. The Salvia "Waverly" are blooming poorly, and it recently occurred to me that the lights that are on at night must be the problem. Previously I have tried to grow Salvia leucantha (one of the parents of Waverly) in a yard with bright nighttime lighting and found that portions of the plants in the light didn't bloom while shaded parts of the plants bloomed normally. Salvias currently planted with the Waverly include Salvia elegans, Salvia karwinskii x puberula, and one that I think is Salvia subrotunda (a fall bloomer I am guessing). I am concerned that these species won't bloom with the lights on them at night.

Does anyone know if there are certain types of bulbs that would be preferable to others - i.e. bulbs that would not interfere with the diurnal cycle in salvias?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nighttime lights interfering with blooming

If you are talking about the chromatic response of light bulbs, yhis is usually broken down into red-rich or blue-rich lamps. Both types are needed for optimal growth of plants, and both should be available. One of these will prompt green growth more, but I am not sure which one. The blue-rich ones will also likely have more ultraviolet as well.

However, if the light intensity is strong enough, chromaticity will be irrelivant. The species you mention are relatively insensitive to night lighting, so this likely means you will get best results with long day bloomers.

Amongst the most sensitive to aborting bloom from night lighting is Salvia divinorum, which can be spectacular when in full bloom. Salvia dorisiana is another light sensitive species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here