Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voodoobrew

salvia nectar

voodoobrew
14 years ago

A question on the hummingbird forum about "natural food" has got me wondering about the nectaries of salvias. Do they typically produce nectar often? I read that some flower species will stop producing once pollination is achieved. I have S. elegans and S. chiapensis at my kitchen window and I have seen the hummers hit them several times in a day. Is there much known about nectar production in salvias? I didn't find much on the web. I'm curious about % sugar, and speed of production. I think it would explain why the hummers preferentially hit only (I should say mainly) certain salvias in my garden. e.g. I have many S. leucantha plants, in full bloom now, and they barely touch the stuff. I guess I am trying to figure out which plants I need to focus on increasing. Plus, I am just plain interested [does that make me a nerd? LOL]. I guess that I should admit at this point of posting on these threads that I am a molecular biologist/ biochemist who is thinking of a career change to horticulture. :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored