Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtrx

looking for a pink salvia

dirtrx
16 years ago

I was wondering if anyone happens to know of a pink salvia. One of the reasons I love salvia is because it means "to heal" in Latin. I have several friends who are battling breast cancer and I would love to give them a pink salvia the same color as the pink ribbon. I have a hot pink and purply pink. Is there a "Komen" pink out there, preferably a hardy perennial? And if there isn't one is there a possibility Rich or Robin you could create one? Thanks, Shannon

Comments (6)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I have a grouping of S. coccinea "Hummingbird Coral" that is the pink you're looking for. I purchased the originals at one of the big box stores in the spring.

• dicot
    16 years ago

That's a good choice. Two others are:
    Salvia chiapensis

{{gwi:1248736}}

Salvia microphylla 'wild watermelon'

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Those are two good ones, especially the Wild Watermelon. Other pinks include S. microphylla La Trinidad, S. greggii Big Pink, S. dorisiana (for those with a greenhouse who want a winter bloomer)

Note that the color pink (or rose, to be more accurate), is a light magenta or fuchsia, meaning there is a touch of purple in it.

True red sages like S. microphylla Zaragoza or S. greggii Furman's Red get a different shade of "pink" when the flowers sun bleach. What is this "Komen" pink relative to these two choices?

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Salvia dorisiana has lovely true pink flowers, but winter-flowering and not hardy.

There is a beautiful new hybrid called 'Penny's Smile' which was a seedling from 'Silke's Dream'. This is a lovely shade of pink, but is not yet available outside the UK. This was name after a lady who passed away prematurely from this dreadful disease.

Another lovely pink Salvia is S. involucrata 'Joan' which is probably a hybrid involucrata x microphylla....will flower year-round in the right climate.

Robin.

• dirtrx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've seen "Wild Watermelon" in person so I know this pink is too "hot". The pink I am looking for is a paler pink. I'll have to look into the others. Sometimes the colors aren't true from computers and magazines compared to reality. I'd love to see "Penny's Smile". I'm thinking that if it is named for a victim there is a chance that it might be the pink I am looking for. I'll have to look at true red sages and the coccinea. Thanks for all the responses. Now I have some research to go by. Shannon/Dirtrx

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Hmm. I might try Salvia greggii Teresa, which is a white/pink bicolor, then. There are not too many light pinks, but someone will come up with an x jamensis form.

The colors on the web page color references will be constant, with variations caused by your monitor's age, screen setup, and the ambient light.

Color matching is done in printer and photographic shops using a special booth with standard lights and backgrounds.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company