Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pedoman

salvia byron flynt

pedoman
18 years ago

I bought a Bryon Flynt salvia in September and I was wondering if any other gardenweb member have any tips for growing this salvia. It is a hybrid of S. hispanica and S. Mexicana limelight. It supposedly gets 6 feet all and gets covered in electric blue flowers. I guess I will have to wait until next year to see what it does.

Comments (7)

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

That's a pretty wild cross, considering the relative sizes of the flowers. Where did you get this plant, and what USDA Zone are you in? Hispanica is basically an annual and mexicana is hardy to USDA Zone 7 or 8.

• youreit
    18 years ago

I want one, too! :)

Brenda

From Northbay.com (in CA) -

Linda asks: I'm a salvia enthusiast and was told there is a new salvia on the market introduced by a local hybridizer. What do you know about its characteristics and any other information of interest?

The salvia was hybridized by Dan Flynt and was named after his grandfather, Byron Flynt.

It is a cross between Salvia mexicana "Limelight" and Salvia hispanica, but more vigorous than either parent. The seed comes from "Limelight," yet the foliage more closely resembles hispanica. The flower stalks are like "Limelight," but more purple like hispanica. It is more floriferous than either parent.

"Byron Flynt" is tender if temperatures drop too low but it is very easy to take new cuttings from each year. This salvia is 5 feet tall by 3 feet wide and needs staking. The electric-blue flowers add a real punch to a mixed perennial border, can be a great addition to a habitat garden or part of a salvia enthusiast's collection. It has been a winner in our own gardens.

Emerisa Gardens, wholesale-retail, Cottage Gardens and Western Hills carry Salvia "Byron Flynt." Check other nurseries for availability.

• pedoman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I bought this salvia at Emerisa Gardens in Santa Rosa. I have the tag that indicates who developed this plant, but I was wondering if anyone has actually grown it. It is supposed to be a perennial. I live in a zone 9a in Santa Rosa.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

I have Byron Flint too, purchased either from Emerisa or Calflora last spring. These new plants are about 2' tall and are blooming now. The flowers are tiny, intense dark purple, on a spike about 6" tall. I guess I'll know next spring how winter hardy they are in my zone 9, foothills garden.

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

Is there a picture of this available?

• hkmark
    17 years ago

i brought home one from Capital Nursery in Sacramento Ca. Quite lovely despite that i haven't seen its flowers yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: myspace

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

Well this is hardly anything to do with Salvias!

What are you thinking of?

Robin.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES