Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salvia byron flynt

Posted by pedoman 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 05 at 22:02

I bought a Bryon Flynt salvia in September and I was wondering if any other gardenweb member have any tips for growing this salvia. It is a hybrid of S. hispanica and S. Mexicana limelight. It supposedly gets 6 feet all and gets covered in electric blue flowers. I guess I will have to wait until next year to see what it does.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salvia byron flynt

That's a pretty wild cross, considering the relative sizes of the flowers. Where did you get this plant, and what USDA Zone are you in? Hispanica is basically an annual and mexicana is hardy to USDA Zone 7 or 8.

o

I want one, too! :)

Brenda

From Northbay.com (in CA) -

Linda asks: I'm a salvia enthusiast and was told there is a new salvia on the market introduced by a local hybridizer. What do you know about its characteristics and any other information of interest?

The salvia was hybridized by Dan Flynt and was named after his grandfather, Byron Flynt.

It is a cross between Salvia mexicana "Limelight" and Salvia hispanica, but more vigorous than either parent. The seed comes from "Limelight," yet the foliage more closely resembles hispanica. The flower stalks are like "Limelight," but more purple like hispanica. It is more floriferous than either parent.

"Byron Flynt" is tender if temperatures drop too low but it is very easy to take new cuttings from each year. This salvia is 5 feet tall by 3 feet wide and needs staking. The electric-blue flowers add a real punch to a mixed perennial border, can be a great addition to a habitat garden or part of a salvia enthusiast's collection. It has been a winner in our own gardens.

Emerisa Gardens, wholesale-retail, Cottage Gardens and Western Hills carry Salvia "Byron Flynt." Check other nurseries for availability.

o

I bought this salvia at Emerisa Gardens in Santa Rosa. I have the tag that indicates who developed this plant, but I was wondering if anyone has actually grown it. It is supposed to be a perennial. I live in a zone 9a in Santa Rosa.

o

I have Byron Flint too, purchased either from Emerisa or Calflora last spring. These new plants are about 2' tall and are blooming now. The flowers are tiny, intense dark purple, on a spike about 6" tall. I guess I'll know next spring how winter hardy they are in my zone 9, foothills garden.

o

Is there a picture of this available?

o

i brought home one from Capital Nursery in Sacramento Ca. Quite lovely despite that i haven't seen its flowers yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: myspace

o

Well this is hardly anything to do with Salvias!

What are you thinking of?

Robin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here