Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

Salvia clinopodioides and S. lineata are USDA Zone 7 hardy

rich_dufresne
13 years ago

I just got back from a visit at Tony Avent's Plant Delights, and Tony showed me his new Lamiaceae and Salvias, including those I had given him last year. He had set most of them out in a sunny bed unmulched. We had a pretty cold winter, and both S. lineata and S. clinopodioides thrived. However, bith flopped over because of the heat, and were not attractive. They would have worked out better in part shade amongst medium to tall perennials.

Both of these species have tubers, so they seem to be similar in culture to the guaranitica and patens forms.

I also had given him a stolonifera, but we could not find it.

Another new sage was a white, super-robust S. azurea grandiflora from a swamp in Louisiana. It also had flopped over, but I was impressed with the number of honeybees working it. I'll try to get this one to beekeepers who want nectar-bearing plants that bloom during parts of the year with low nectar flow.

Other hardy mint family plants were Conradina glabra, from western Florida and Pycnothamnus rigidus from southern Florida. The latter was a real surprise. I suspect its residual hardiness was an effect of selection during the last Ice Age.

I'll be going back in about 2.5 weeks and will remember to take my camera this time.

Some of the outstanding S. greggiis at Tony's and the J. C. Raulston Arboretum were Dark Dancer, Flame, Lipstick, and Pink Preference

Comments (8)

• desertsage
    13 years ago

Hi Rich, S. greggii Lipstick is my best bloomer right now. Dark Dancer faded away in early September, but pumped lots of blooms in the heat of the desert summer. S. darcyi is making a come back with cooler nights. S. elegans is blooming nicely, but the grasshoppers are all over the foliage. S. chamaedryoides is blooming better now that the monsoon rains are over. The coastal California sages are looking better with lack of rain and cooler nights too.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I looked at Robin's images of S. clinopodioides, Flowers appear to be as blue as those of S. guaranitica 'Black and Blue', but smaller.

An eBay seller is offering both of these live plants for sale. I believe that S. lineata has been bid up to $15.95 and is being offered by eyeesoteric, and S. clinopodioides is being offered by sweet65splitty on eBay, currently bid at $8.00. I just discovered these folks by googling these Salvias. I've never heard of them. Have you guys? Both offer other hard to find Salvias for sale or bid.

sweet65splitty notes that he/she has over 200 species of Salvia seeds. Does not list them, but advise that e-mail thru eBay and he/she will let you know what she has or if she has what you're looking for.

Sorry, Richard, didn't mean to steal your post but wanted to post this info while I had it handy.

S. lineata looks like a real beauty of a red with those tomentose flowers and leaves.

Susan

• bbarnes001
    13 years ago

i have purchased salvias from both of these sellers. They have the newest from Cabrillo all the time. they are both up in mid CA. If you are willing to pay the price for rarity than the plants come healthy, large, and well kept. They are both trustworthy in seed sales. But like i said they are pricey.

eye soric has many names on ebay, tasteeclectic is another. he also has a ecrater website. nice stuff.

also, sweet65splitty you can email if you want more salvias. She has many. $$$

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input on these Sellers. Yes, I've heard of tasteeclectic and also seen the ecrater website of his as well. Seeds are pricey, and some I have found for less money, but he offers many more that others do not.

I really like the S. lineata, especially if hardy to zone 7 where I am located.

Susan

• bbarnes001
    13 years ago

rich,
    s. lineata here that i got is doing great. Half day of sun. flowering strong for being a small little guy. Everything else is doing great too.

brent

• waywardcl_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Both of the these plants have been a struggle for me. I think the S. lineata is now in a position it likes better, and I put S. clinopodioides in a pot. Today I moved the pot to more sun (it was in shade). The leaves are very light and spotty... I don't know what the problem is. We've had a pretty mild summer, not too hot. Any tips on how to keep S. clinopodioides happy and get it to bloom?

Today I also put S. atrocyanea in a pot. It needed to be watered every day where I had it in the yard. It's just as well, as we are getting ready to move (to more land), so that one will go with me.

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope you will still have the Salvia grewifolia. I'm building up stock on the Salvia oxyphora now.

I'm using expanded slate pellets in my potting mix for the tuberous Salvias, in order to stop rotting during winter, when dryness is important. Atrocyanea seems to like it. Lineata should as well. Others that should be tried with this mix include patens, clinopodioides, urticifolia, stolonifera, reptans, and dichlamys.

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will also be experimenting with a new soil mix, which has composted peanut hulls as part of the mix.

Also I am switching to a new slow release fertilizer that performs much better in hot weather, and going to resume feeding with soluble fertilizers. Got to find my two brass siphon mixers.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets