Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabassam

zone 7B overwintering question

tabassam
18 years ago

Does anyone living in zone 7B has success overwintering these salvias outdoors w/ mulch: Mexicana 'Limelight', darcyi (schaffneri?) red flowers, 'Trinidad Pink', guarantica 'Van Remsen', guarantica from Costa Rica, 'Van Houtti' and 'Coccinea pink'? The roots are well established and some are in ground and some in pots. Just bought a small greenhouse and trying to decide which ones I need to bring inside.

I live in Mid-Atlantic region (Southern Maryland)

Comments (6)

• shari1332
    18 years ago

Plant Delights nursery lists darcyi and La Trinidad Pink as hardy to zone 7 so if you are in 7b with well established plants that are in well draining soil then they should be okay as long as you don't cut them back until spring.

Shari

• wardw
    18 years ago

Van Houtti has never been hardy for me, although I'm a half or a full zone colder. Guarantica will probably come back for you, locally Black & Blue and Argentina Skies usually overwinter. I've got a bunch of Mexicana Limelight out in the garden about to bloom - finally. I don't believe they are hardy, so I've taken cuttings. Salvia coccinea is not hardy. They are self seeding, but don't sprout until the ground is thoroughly warmed up. For that reason I start a batch in late winter indoors. Lastly, I'd love to know how you make out with Darcyi. That's one I want to try next year and I'm as uncertain as you are. Check out A World of Salvias, there may be some mention of its hardiness there.

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

Of the ones you mentioned, Mexicana 'Limelight', darcyi (schaffneri?) red flowers, and 'Trinidad Pink'are hardy in zone 7b. S. guarantica 'Van Remsen' is new and probably hardy; S. guarantica from Costa Rica makes it most winters and can benefit from a winter mulch. The S. 'Van Houtti'varieties die back and sprout suddenly in the spring, but are not hardy. S. 'Coccinea pink' self-sows just as wardw posted.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

The splendens vanhouttii has reseeded for me but only a few are the dark maroon,purple the others are red. They are not as tall as the original thankfully but they are like the coccinea they reseed alot. I'm in zone 6. Sarah

• karen__w z7 NC
    18 years ago

'Limelight' didn't overwinter for me in zone 7a but 'Van houttei' did one or two years. It came back so late that it never amounted to much, though, so I prefer to take cuttings. The van houttei form 'Carribean Coral' didn't overwinter last year. I've had darcyi come back but lost it this summer. Don't know if it was the heat or what. My S. corrgata died the day we topped 100 degrees F.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

I had darcy last year it didn't come back this year I think it likes well drained lime rich soil. I don't have either. I'm not sure but I think caribean coral might have either reseeded or came back it's an orange,reddish color I think I didn't plant it this year but some of my salvias look just like it. It's still blooming Sarah

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz