Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmisk

new transplants

msmisk
17 years ago

I'm so excited ! I made the rounds of several plant stores, looking for perennials for my new rose bed, and found Black & Blue at a new Lowe's - bought 6 of them at $1.39 in 6" pots. I had seen a picture online and wanted some, but I wasn't prepared for how gorgeous the color is in person. Also at a nursery found 2 salvia nemorosa 'Snow Hill' which are currently blooming and so full & healthy looking. They're in the ground now and hopefully will get a good start over the winter.

Added to my salvia gregii, Russian sage, Mexican bush sage and salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips', I'm starting to get quite a collection.

Comments (7)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Congrats, and welcome to the SAC (Salvia Addicts Club)! :)

Once I started, I couldn't stop. My mom couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Then she saw them in bloom...and smelled them...and touched them...in my garden, and life was good.

Now that she's growing them, too, she gushes all the time about how, with such little effort, one can achieve such beauty in a garden. I tried to tell her. :)

Brenda

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

You will like Snow Hill more and more as time goes by. Mine bloom constantly and I get a few seedlings.
    Jim

• msmisk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda, I do feel like this is an addiction. I've always liked salvias, but suddenly I'm obsessed. They do add a certain something to the garden. I can't wait till spring to scour the nurseries for some more. Any favorites you'd recommend ?

I hope my Snow Hill does as well as yours, Jim. It's so pretty now, I just love it. I think I might have Marcus that I planted last spring. I was looking at it today and wondering how I lost the name, but isn't it the purple version of Snow Hill ?

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Well, I suppose you could say that. It is also a salvia nemorosa, as is May Night (Mainacht). May Night as a lot different growth habit than Snow Hill. It has larger leaves and blooms, and tends to be more open, for me anyway. I have never grow Marcus, but just bought one in a 1gal container, at Lowe's for a quarter, on their discount table, so we'll see.
    Good luck with your salvias. I guess you know, your hooked!?
    Jim

• msmisk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I am definitely hooked. We're expecting 40 mph winds tonite and tomorrow, so I covered each of my new Black and Blue's with a bucket and put a brick on top so they wouldn't get beat to death their first day in the garden.
    I'm not as worried about Snow Hill, since they lay down more and don't seem like they'd snap off a branch as easily.

• youreit
    17 years ago

It's always hard for me to pick favorites, but I have some new ones (planted this year) of which I'm quite fond. They had no hesitation in bloom when I planted them (like the S. azurea var. grandiflora & the jamensis 'Moonlight' - new growth on the former, however), and even began producing more blooms.

My new favorites are mexicana 'Limelight', darcyi (slow to get growing, but I love the fragrance!), leucantha, and microphylla 'San Carlos Festival' (the gorgeous color of the flowers explains the name).

Enjoy yourself immensely! :)

Brenda

• msmisk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Brenda. I'll keep my eyes open for them when I start shopping again in the spring.

TExas CArol

Sponsored