Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia regeliana

Posted by alethea59 NWItaly (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 3:20

A search about the origin of Salvia regeliana Trautv. brought me to this forum. This species has come to my garden almost by chance but it looks so happy here that I'd really like to know what part of the world it comes from.

Greetings from Piedmont, Italy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia regeliana

I once got Salvia regeliana from a European university botanical garden that seemed to really be S. virgata or S. amplexicaulis, with one inch lavender flowers in whorls of 6 to 8. Salvia regeliana Trautv., described in The Flora of the USSR, is supposed to be a synonym for S. verticillata, which has numerous small flowers.

o

Many thanks for your reply Richard. Actually after sending my message I searched further and found an entry in the International Plant Names Index about a S. regeliana from Caucasus. Also interesting the fact that it is considered a synonym of S. verticillata. I have never grown S. verticillata in my climate and soil but from the pictures I have seen the whorls are more crowded of flowers than in my Salvia regeliana.

o

• Posted by Dudleya CA z8 mendocino (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 05 at 20:54

I have grown what was given to me as S. regeliana for a few years now. I seems most related to S. transylvanica with similar leaf and flower, so I would buy a Caucasus provenance. The biggest difference between the two is in the flower spike, the regeliana I have is vertical and transylvanica arches.
I have acquired seeds of S. verticillata that present a rather different leaf and flower habit in this their first year of growth. Leaves are lighter green and the flowers are smaller and more congested. I have no memory of possible flower color differences.
Now, as with some other Salvia I have (why is this genus so mixed up and often mis-labeled?) I have never been happy with the name provided with the seed. Too little information can be found linked to the name and this post is the first time I have heard of a possible synonymy.
With Richard's "seemed to really be S. virgata or S. amplexicaulis" I have searched and find my plants to most resemble S. virgata, now comes my task of trying to disprove this latest assumption. For as I constantly find with Salvia, my regeliana may not be the same problem child as your regeliana.
Thanks for bringing it up!
Brian

Here is a link that might be useful: Linnean herbarium - Salvia virgata L.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here