Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Salvia on Chalice Well

Posted by taco_dot (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 07 at 5:38

Some years ago, a friend brought me a small branch of the pinkish-red flowering salvia which grows on the Chalice Well near the source of red water. Would anybody know the name of this plant? I have understood that on the white well, there is a white plant. What plant would this be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Salvia on Chalice Well

Please tell us what the Chalice Well is. Few, if any, of us will have an idea of what you are referring to. It would be nice if you at least gave us an idea of what state you are from in your ID.

o

taco's info says Netherlands.

If this is another thread about S.d I'm going to be very unhappy! I've already complained to iVillage twice. It's too bad if this site becomes a source for getting stoned instead of growing Salvia for gardening purposes.

o

Well, on another Salvia forum, the Welcome Message expressly states that it is only for horticultural discussions and not legal highs, and that talk about S. divinorum is restricted to hort topics only.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 07 at 22:00

I agree Westelle (although I feel a bit bad about the tone I took in the other thread), but I think Taco Dot may be refering to this: "Chalice Well is a holy well situated at the foot of Glastonbury Tor in the county of Somerset, England. The natural spring and surrounding gardens are owned and managed by the Chalice Well Trust, founded by Wellesley Tudor Pole in 1959. Archaeological evidence suggests that the well has been in almost constant use for at least two thousand years. Iron oxide deposits give the water a reddish hue, as dissolved ferrous oxide becomes oxygenated at the surface and is precipitated. Like the hot springs in nearby Bath, the water is believed to possess healing qualities" (from wikipedia).

Even still, more info would be need for any ID. Robin might have a better idea if he has visited those gardens.

o

If I took my irritation out on an unsuspecting person who is asking a real Salvia gardening question then I sincerely apologize for my out-burst.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 9:59

I Googled my brains out yesterday, looking for any websites that might go into botanical details about the Chalice Well garden. I couldn't find any info on the plantings, other than references to the very old, established ones, like the Yew tree(s) there.

It would be nice if the caretakers could get a website up and running about it.

Brenda

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 16:48

I pulled these from Google images - pretty place. I applaud anyone who can ID anything from these, though.

o

Never heard of this place in the UK, but sounds and looks interesting.

Seems that the query comes from Holland.

Only Salvia I know growing on hot springs is the elusive Salvia thermarum from South Africa.

Suggest that the enquiry is not meant to be taken seriously, but heh...think I have buds forming on my S. divinorum!!! May just be new leaves though! Would love to see the flowers on this. Not interested in the other properties, too old for all that stuff!

Best to all....Robin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here