Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taco_dot

Pink Salvia on Chalice Well

taco_dot
16 years ago

Some years ago, a friend brought me a small branch of the pinkish-red flowering salvia which grows on the Chalice Well near the source of red water. Would anybody know the name of this plant? I have understood that on the white well, there is a white plant. What plant would this be?

Comments (8)

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Please tell us what the Chalice Well is. Few, if any, of us will have an idea of what you are referring to. It would be nice if you at least gave us an idea of what state you are from in your ID.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

taco's info says Netherlands.

If this is another thread about S.d I'm going to be very unhappy! I've already complained to iVillage twice. It's too bad if this site becomes a source for getting stoned instead of growing Salvia for gardening purposes.

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Well, on another Salvia forum, the Welcome Message expressly states that it is only for horticultural discussions and not legal highs, and that talk about S. divinorum is restricted to hort topics only.

• dicot
    16 years ago

I agree Westelle (although I feel a bit bad about the tone I took in the other thread), but I think Taco Dot may be refering to this: "Chalice Well is a holy well situated at the foot of Glastonbury Tor in the county of Somerset, England. The natural spring and surrounding gardens are owned and managed by the Chalice Well Trust, founded by Wellesley Tudor Pole in 1959. Archaeological evidence suggests that the well has been in almost constant use for at least two thousand years. Iron oxide deposits give the water a reddish hue, as dissolved ferrous oxide becomes oxygenated at the surface and is precipitated. Like the hot springs in nearby Bath, the water is believed to possess healing qualities" (from wikipedia).

Even still, more info would be need for any ID. Robin might have a better idea if he has visited those gardens.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

If I took my irritation out on an unsuspecting person who is asking a real Salvia gardening question then I sincerely apologize for my out-burst.

• youreit
    16 years ago

I Googled my brains out yesterday, looking for any websites that might go into botanical details about the Chalice Well garden. I couldn't find any info on the plantings, other than references to the very old, established ones, like the Yew tree(s) there.

It would be nice if the caretakers could get a website up and running about it.

Brenda

• dicot
    16 years ago

I pulled these from Google images - pretty place. I applaud anyone who can ID anything from these, though.

{{gwi:1249084}}

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Never heard of this place in the UK, but sounds and looks interesting.

Seems that the query comes from Holland.

Only Salvia I know growing on hot springs is the elusive Salvia thermarum from South Africa.

Suggest that the enquiry is not meant to be taken seriously, but heh...think I have buds forming on my S. divinorum!!! May just be new leaves though! Would love to see the flowers on this. Not interested in the other properties, too old for all that stuff!

Best to all....Robin.

Sponsored